They told me it couldn't do overdrive.

CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
The Two Rock Studio Pro 35.

It can.  Oh yes, it can.  No pedals, low output HBs but even then, the perfect AC/DC tone.  I have been having fun today.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• llewllew Frets: 78
    How do you find the amp overall?
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    It is the best sounding amp I have ever heard.  I spent months researching before taking a punt, sight unseen.

I have no regrets at all.  My only regret was that I was told it could only do clean, so I started researching OD pedals, but I had a bit of alone time today and whacked the gain right up and it can even do that.

Clarity is great, tone shaping is unbelievable, so I know it will sit right in the mix, and the reverb is lush and deep.  I prefer it to my Cornford Hurricane, and my two Mesas.  I only got it because it is lighter than the Stiletto and more gutsy than the Hurricane, but it really is a "do anything" amp.

I could go on all day.  Love it.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1630
    Cacofonix said:
    It is the best sounding amp I have ever heard.  I spent months researching before taking a punt, sight unseen.

I have no regrets at all.  My only regret was that I was told it could only do clean, so I started researching OD pedals, but I had a bit of alone time today and whacked the gain right up and it can even do that.

Clarity is great, tone shaping is unbelievable, so I know it will sit right in the mix, and the reverb is lush and deep.  I prefer it to my Cornford Hurricane, and my two Mesas.  I only got it because it is lighter than the Stiletto and more gutsy than the Hurricane, but it really is a "do anything" amp.

Congrats. I felt the same when I got my Jet. But the real revelation was how much better a really, really good tube OD sounded through the amp set clean than the amp's OD channel (good though that is)

edited April 2014
    I was using my Tube factor (with a Little Big Muff Pi for tonal variation) but I just thought I'd check without to see whether it could do it on its own. 
    I'm not sure whether in a gig situation it'll be the same, due to the volume difference between clean and gain, and as it's one channel, I'll probably have to use a pedal.

The Tube factor gooses it well enough, but you know what it's like - is there something better out there?

That Rook OD on the forum at the mo is cawling to me, but the reviews are against a gained out Klon, which doesn't showcase it to my taste, really.

Edit: what do you mean by a really, really good tube OD?

Edit 2: The other object of unrequited GAS was the MAZ 18 with reverb.  We have similar sonic tastes, I think.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1682
    Very pleased for you keep having the fun.

I Googled for the amp. Hmm, seems a good enough tool WITHOUT the bllx about pickup loading and "saturating" pickups!

Dave.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1630
    I mean a Kingsley Jester, Page or Jouster

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    It must be good if you prefer it to the Hurricane.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073

Cacofonix said:
    ".........whacked the gain right up........"

Just tried that with my Studio Pro 22.....power valve disappeared in a cloud of smoke!  Never mind, am very happy using my Zvex Distortron to get bluesy crunch. Have gone from being frustrated as hell with the amp to loving it. 
  • Cacofonix;217792" said:

That Hurricane was mine and she's missed every day.. But now a date with destiny and a Lazy J 20 is on the cards.. All the amp you need!
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1960

I'm playing through a SP22 right now...absolutely I love it. Tons of different sounds, which are really easy to get. It's one of those amps where tweaking the controls gives you something different and good. I find with a lot of flexible amps, the controls seem to give different, but not quite what you want and after an hour I just end up getting fed up and going back to something basic.

The contour control is great for changing the character when tracking two guitars to make them sound a bit different. They are light and small too, which I like. At the moment, I'm running mine with the power amp cooking and attenuated with a powerbrake, then miked up, into Ableton and monitoring loud with headphones...it sounds great, and baby is sleeping in the next room :-)

Funny you should mention ACDC, cuz it reminds me of the Powerage era tone every time I crank it, which is weird for a Fender style amp.It also cleans up so nicely.The reverb on the Pro's is a lot nicer than the Pro+'s too. I was going to trade mine for a Pro+, but the reverb sounded very different, and not in a good way (think it uses a different valve configuration?)

I must admit, I'd always thought Two Rock's were a bit of a 'blues dentists' kind of thing (wrong of me, I know) and I didn't really like the image, but nearly a year in, and I honestly think it's one of the best bits of guitar gear I have ever bought. It is one bit of gear I don't think I'd ever, ever sell.

edited April 2014
    I snagged mine just after the Pro+ came out.  So I got a discount  :)  Edit: I spoke to the Captain, who advised me to wait because I couldn't afford the head and the Two-Rock cab.  He said wait until you get both, because it'd disappoint if I didn't get a decent speaker to go with it.  I agreed, waited a month, saved a bit more, and "pop" it came down in price.  Awesomes.

It must be good if you prefer it to the Hurricane.
    It is awesome.  If ever the weekend moves a bit East of South Wales, I might bring it along.  The Hurricane is amazing at what it does, but it doesn't do clean-loud.  The Studio Pro does both. 

Cacofonix;217792" said:

That Hurricane was mine and she's missed every day.. But now a date with destiny and a Lazy J 20 is on the cards.. All the amp you need!
    Good purchase. those J's sound great.  I went to see Temperance Movement, and they sounded awesome with teles.  More rawk than I use, though.
  • yes great band seen them 3 times now... were you at the Lincoln gig?
    No, Sheffield.  Great to see some good bands coming through again.