What Guitarists Have You Grown To Respect?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10397
    edited April 2014
    Gilmour, never really thought much of till I heard Paul Rodgers Muddy waters blues album. There was a whole list of guitarists on there, and the ones I thought would be good weren't and vice versa.
    . Neal Schon, much better player than I first thought as well.
    Thought Noël redding was awful until I went to see him live in Yeovil, then I knew he was awful.
    Still don't get all the fuss about Hendrix, did a few good things and a whole lot of rubbish due to stuff he was on. No doubt he had talent, but I wonder if he would be largely forgotten now if he hadn't died at his peak.
    Considering Hendrix completely tore up the rule book and forced all his contemporarlies,including Clapton,who was considered God at the time to up their game or be left behind I don't think there was ever a chance that he would be forgotten.The guy was a total one off and changed rock music forever.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2014
    Billy Corgan as well - for a long time my only real experience of the Smashing Pumpkins was hearing "Cherub Rock" on Guitar Hero III and thinking it was a cool song with a pretty good solo. His voice is an acquired taste, I guess. Then I got properly into Siamese Dream and realised his songwriting and the riffs he wrote really, really resonated with me. That album is amazing from start to finish.

Then the guitar solo in Soma kicked in... and yeah, that was when I realised he can REALLY fucking play.

He's an awesome lead player - he has impressive chops (he can widdle when he wants to), but his solos also have loads of character and attitude. Even when he's just making noise and struggling to control his wildly-feeding-back fuzz pedals, he still sounds badass.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    koneguitarist said:

Still don't get all the fuss about Hendrix, did a few good things and a whole lot of rubbish due to stuff he was on. No doubt he had talent, but I wonder if he would be largely forgotten now if he hadn't died at his peak.
    No, because he would still be the most radical and influential electric guitarist ever, even if he was still alive today and had produced nothing but middle of the road tosh from 1971 to now.

Name me his radical songs, what was so different about Hendrix at the time apart from stage show?
    Serious question by the way, meant nothing to me, he wasn't most skillfull, not fastest, not best technique at the time. What makes him so relevant today? 
    Actually scratch that, I will start a new thread!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    equalsql said:

Andrew Gold. He (RIP) was a very fine songwriter but also a superb guitarist who was instrumental in getting Linda Ronstadt's career going before he went solo himself. His guitar solo's were always beautifully structured and designed to bring out the best of the songs. Terrific phrasing and wonderful choice of notes. His Strat tone could be really biting and his soloing skills really shone on the last record he made for Asylum. 
    The track 'Sooner or Later' from that album shows just how gritty his playing could be:

Didn't even realised he'd died :( 

"Lonely Boy" is in my top 5 tracks of all time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6237

joneve said:
    equalsql said:

Andrew Gold. He (RIP) was a very fine songwriter but also a superb guitarist who was instrumental in getting Linda Ronstadt's career going before he went solo himself. His guitar solo's were always beautifully structured and designed to bring out the best of the songs. Terrific phrasing and wonderful choice of notes. His Strat tone could be really biting and his soloing skills really shone on the last record he made for Asylum. 
    The track 'Sooner or Later' from that album shows just how gritty his playing could be:

Didn't even realised he'd died :( 

"Lonely Boy" is in my top 5 tracks of all time. 
    Yep,  I was really shocked (and gutted) when I heard that he had died from a heart-attack.
    I was a huge fan of his music in the late 70's and grew to admire his guitar playing as I progressed on the instrument myself. The guy was a genius producer and real old-school songwriter. 
    :(
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom