Fulldrive 3 anyone?

What's Hot
koss59koss59 Frets: 887
Has anyone seen the new fulldrive 3 coming out? As a long time fulldrive 2 user I'm looking forward to trying it, smaller box and I dependent boost might make my favourite overdrive even harder to beat. Here's the link http://www.fulltone.com/products/fd3
Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Sorta like a Boss SD 1 then ;-)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I'm certainly happier that they are doing a production version. The first run was limited and only available in US as well as being daft expensive. I'll probably pick one up at some point.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    There's 150,000 FDII's in the world. WOW.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Exclusive order switch?

Lol

Fairly certain visual sound have started using that on the v3 pedals, and I doubt it was new then... Other than that though, it sounds like a very usable overdrive for a fair price.

And I'm not a fulltone fan. So it pains me to say I'd probably like one... :)
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 887
    I couldn't give a flying &@£ if it's based off a boss sd-1 as it doesn't actually sound like one. There's a reason most pros have had one on their board at some point, nothing cuts live like them. They're not good at bedroom volumes
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    except an SD-1 modded to fulltone specs ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited April 2014
    koss59;220989" said:
    I couldn't give a flying &@£ if it's based off a boss sd-1 as it doesn't actually sound like one.

There's a reason most pros have had one on their board at some point, nothing cuts live like them.

They're not good at bedroom volumes
    It's fair to say the sd-1 is a great sounding drive pedal in its own right anyway, and more pros have used that I'd imagine. So I don't see it being based off of one as being a bad thing.

Actually, there are very few analogue drive circuits that sound truly bad.

If a few simple mods open up new sounds, great.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    There was one in Guitar Guitar Epsom last week.  Resisted the tempation.  Just took home a Custom Shop Tele instead!
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    Oooh, I loves me FD2 so this is a defo for me.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2371
    I've had a bunch of fulltone pedals including the fulldrive and GT500, and I really don't see the hype about them at all.   Put them next to a good brand ie Trex, and they get absoultely blown out the water.  

I thought the Full drive was one of the blandest pedals I've ever had. 
    Compare to the Trex Moller for example.  The moller is sooo superior in sound, build quality and features (independent boost, separate mix control) to the full drive 2.  I  appreciate there is a difference in price new, but 2nd hand they tend to go pretty much the same

l No idea what the fd3 is going to be like but i won't Be doing fulltone Again..
  • matonematone Frets: 216
    thomasw88 said:
    I've had a bunch of fulltone pedals including the fulldrive and GT500, and I really don't see the hype about them at all.   Put them next to a good brand ie Trex, and they get absoultely blown out the water.  

Compare to the Trex Moller for example.  The moller is sooo superior in sound, build quality and features (independent boost, separate mix control) to the full drive 2.  I  appreciate there is a difference in price new, but 2nd hand they tend to go pretty much the same

l No idea what the fd3 is going to be like but i won't Be doing fulltone Again..
    Well you are free not to buy one .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    matone said:
    thomasw88 said:

Well you are free not to buy one .

Thanks.. I won't.
    thomasw88;223400" said:

l

No idea what the fd3 is going to be like but i won't Be doing fulltone Again..
    I've not tried a gt500, was the fulldrive you tried a MOSFET? I find them to be very thin and fizzy sounding so agree with you. It's the older handwired ones that I like the sound of and this new one is supposed to give those sounds but with a separate boost. The magic with fulldrives is with comp cut, it works a bit like a klon. If you don't have a great amp that's already singing, it's not going to work for you.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1507
    In my experience the FD2 works great if you are putting it into a great sounds in the first place. It isn't magic like an OCD that can take a crap sound and make it good. Saying that I prefer other TS type pedals. Looking forward to trying this one though.
    koss59;224809" said:
    thomasw88;223400" said:I've had a bunch of fulltone pedals including the fulldrive and GT500, and I really don't see the hype about them at all.   Put them next to a good brand ie Trex, and they get absoultely blown out the water.  

l

No idea what the fd3 is going to be like but i won't Be doing fulltone Again..

I've not tried a gt500, was the fulldrive you tried a MOSFET?

I find them to be very thin and fizzy sounding so agree with you.

It's the older handwired ones that I like the sound of and this new one is supposed to give those sounds but with a separate boost.

The magic with fulldrives is with comp cut, it works a bit like a klon.

If you don't have a great amp that's already singing, it's not going to work for you.
    amp I had with these was a fender deluxe reverb, supersonic, genz Benz black pearl, or h&k statesman. All of which I would classify as decent. Anyway not wanting to hijack this thread so will bow out now!
  • BigRedOneBigRedOne Frets: 70
    my FD3 arrived today - I got one for my smaller board (pedaltrain mini) - first home test went well - it sounds a little different to the FD2 mosfet that I have, but it still sounds very much like a Fulltone drive pedal - which is good if that's what you like.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    photek said:
    It isn't magic like an OCD that can take a crap sound and make it good.

I always thought the OCD worked the other way round! :P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    I've always found Fulltones work nicely with Fendery amps and horribly with more Vox-styled things. Kinda like a backwards Hotcake.

I liked both the OCD and GT500 into my old Rivera Clubster and Blues Junior but they weren't great into my Laney VC15. Same goes for the FD2 when I tried one next to a Hotcake with a VC15. I bought the Hotcake.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigRedOneBigRedOne Frets: 70
    I use mine with Dr Z amps - Maz 18 and a Remedy - sounds great to my ears
    I use my old Fulldrive with my Badcats and it's bloody amazing, the new mosfet one is too bright however.