Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Literally selling Snake Oil...

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    Proper piss taking would be to gloop the circuits... but use a transparent gloop you can see through.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
     a transparent gloop you can see through.
    They already have their Youtube channel.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very smart marketing by Chappers. 
    Is it? I must have missed something. What's so smart?

Not sure if you honestly don't get the irony or if you're trying to be funny but the term "snake oil" gets thrown around the guitar industry all the time when companies make effects / amps / guitars claiming they having done something different no other company has. 

Chappers has now called his company Snake Oil.  The marketing blurb suggests he is offering something no other company does.  He is using the term snake oil and has designed the marketing in a way that pokes fun at the pretentiousness of some companies. 

Yeah, I got that. I just don't think it's very funny. Not that I don't think those companies shouldn't be mocked, just that at the end of the day they're still selling the same old Tubescreamer clone and trying to pass it off as something new and original.

Putting an "ironic" name on it seems less of an insult to other pedal companies and more of an insult to customers- "you know we're bullshitting you with "ironic" branding, but give us your money anyway".
    Its a very British spin on it IMO  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    Sorry I don’t understand why someone would buy these.
    I ‘get’ the attempt at humour - Americanism aside.
    Why would I buy this and not a different brand? What is the USP? 

I don’t think the association with Chappers is really relevant in such a crowded market.

(Oh and for the record - it’s *not* very funny... and it reminds me of the Reggie Perrin “Grot” shops — ask your parents)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Very smart marketing by Chappers. 
    Is it? I must have missed something. What's so smart?
    #1 - Rob's fans (and those invested in the brand) have been asking him to bring out a pedal range for six or seven years now, and not many of them care what the pedal circuits actually are. He's giving people what they want to buy.

#2 - The US market is where he's aiming these things. The UK market is piddling-small by comparison. That's why this is announced for NAMM and not one of the UK shows, just like every other CG product.
    <space for hire>
  • Reskinned Biyangs?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73030
    impmann said:

(Oh and for the record - it’s *not* very funny... and it reminds me of the Reggie Perrin “Grot” shops — ask your parents)
    Grot would have been a fantastic name for a British-made overdrive/distortion pedal!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    It’s a clever move for the brand to move in to pedals seeing as ( @digitalscream pointed out) his fans have been asking for them for quite some time. For anyone who follows him who can’t stretch to buying a guitar the pedal is a good entry level product.

I still can’t understand the Chapman hate around these parts. It’s just a few pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • It's about as convincing as if you thought going to a Bannatynes health spa would make you resemble Duncan himself
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    You know what , I was thinking just the other day how  there is know where near enough boost/od/distortion pedals about, and was wishing someone would bring out a range so us commoners could get our hands on such rare beasts.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    lonestar said:
    It’s a clever move for the brand to move in to pedals seeing as ( @digitalscream pointed out) his fans have been asking for them for quite some time. For anyone who follows him who can’t stretch to buying a guitar the pedal is a good entry level product.

I still can’t understand the Chapman hate around these parts. It’s just a few pedals.
    I still can't understand the Chapman love.
    He's just a businessman, it's not like he makes the things himself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    lonestar said:

The bulk of our members can't. That's because - without wishing to make anyone feel old - the membership here is mostly-middle-aged-and-over, which is absolutely not the demographic his videos and his products are targeting.

It's not much different to the way that 40yr olds at the time couldn't understand why Ren and Stimpy were popular, or Beavis and Butthead. It's humour and entertainment for a different generation.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    lonestar said:

It’s not “love”, I just don’t go out of my way to dislike the man. He hasnt done nothing wrong, has he?

But as Lee said, the demographic of this forum isn’t his target market. Well, maybe a few but certainly not the majority.

I can’t see myself buying a pedal but I’d be interested to know what they sound like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997
    edited January 2019
    I don't really care if they are anything to do with Chapman or not to be honest, they look very generic like those trendy Barber shops that charge £35 for a short back and sides atnd try to shine your shoes, and I bet they'll just sounds like another overdrive pedal
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Sassafras said:
    lonestar said:

The bulk of our members can't. That's because - without wishing to make anyone feel old - the membership here is mostly-middle-aged-and-over, which is absolutely not the demographic his videos and his products are targeting.

It's not much different to the way that 40yr olds at the time couldn't understand why Ren and Stimpy were popular, or Beavis and Butthead. It's humour and entertainment for a different generation.
    But that's the odd bit as Chappers is a porky, balding middle aged man. You'd think the kids would find him hard to relate to, not other porky, balding middle aged men. His humour even seems pretty dated, reminds me a bit of Red Dwarf fans in the 1990s. Hey ho, he's living the dream so he's the one laughing...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Octafish said:
    Sassafras said:
    lonestar said:

But that's the odd bit as Chappers is a porky, balding middle aged man. You'd think the kids would find him hard to relate to, not other porky, balding middle aged men. His humour even seems pretty dated, reminds me a bit of Red Dwarf fans in the 1990s. Hey ho, he's living the dream so he's the one laughing...
    But he’s been a prominent YouTube celeb for a decade now. That means the guys Lee is referring to were mostly 50 when he became noticed online in 2008/9. The “kids” who followed him when he started making lesson videos a decade back were 16,17,18... they’re now closer to 30. Time doesn’t stop moving..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Octafish said:
    Sassafras said:
    lonestar said:

To take the previous examples...do you believe that Ren and Stimpy and Beavis and Butthead were written and performed by 11-16yr old schoolkids? No, they were created by a 36yr old nerdy-looking guy and a slightly-overweight, balding 31yr old bloke respectively, both roughly the same age as Rob Chapman when he started gaining traction.

You don't have to be part of a demographic to be able to create something that appeals to members of it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    Octafish said:
    Sassafras said:
    lonestar said:

To take the previous examples...do you believe that Ren and Stimpy and Beavis and Butthead were written and performed by 11-16yr old schoolkids? No, they were created by a 36yr old nerdy-looking guy and a slightly-overweight, balding 31yr old bloke respectively, both roughly the same age as Rob Chapman when he started gaining traction.

You don't have to be part of a demographic to be able to create something that appeals to members of it.
    Not sure it's the same. As someone who watched Ren and Stimpy and Beavis and Butthead as a youth I had no idea who the creators were or what they looked like. I didn't even think about who they might be, the public face was the cartoon characters and that's who we went around the playground talking about and quoting, not the uncool creators who hid behind their creations.

In contrast Rob Chapman is the public face. I'm just surprised he has the appeal to younger people that he does. He reminds me of a school mate's uncool older brother. As much as I can't stand someone like PewDiePie, I can get why teenagers like him and think he's funny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    FWIW I still love Ren & Stimpy.
    Not so keen on Andertons vids.
    Sassafras said:
    FWIW I still love Ren & Stimpy.
    Not so keen on Andertons vids.
    Watched both, but I was more a Beavis and Butthead fan. Ultimately, Southpark is the best though, guess at heart I'm pretty puerile =) .