Les Paul Wisdom Required

What's Hot
tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
Evening all
What’s theFretboards’s wisdom when it comes to Les Paul tailpieces/Stop bar? Lightweight aluminium? faber? Callaham? I’ve just put a Callaham bridge on my Les Paul and the tailpiece is looking a bit shabby next to it... Ta muchly  :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    edited January 2019
    Aluminium to me sounds much airier than Zamak, which is common on factory Les Paul tailpieces, unless it’s a historic post 2005ish which will be aluminium. Zamak is a bit more immediate and ballsy though in attack. There isn’t really a “better”, just depends what you like. Aluminium is 50s vintage correct. Faber make great tailpieces and bridges. Never gone wrong with them. Loads of manufacturers out there and they all sound a little different from each other. I’d probably go Faber as the quality is good and they’re reasonably priced.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited January 2019
    Sounds like Gibson back to aluminium for the new 2019 range
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    I've got a Callaham ABR1 and Faber tailpiece on my LP. It's a good combo imo. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    edited January 2019
    Brilliant thanks.. mine is the Callaham ABR-1 .. it arrived with the saddles set up for a leftie.. I googled how to press the saddles out...What a fuss the Callaham make about making a jig and a brass drift in a pillar drill... 2 bits of wood and gentle pressure and 10 mins later all done... I’ve quite enjoyed notching the saddles. I bought a nut file set, set intonation and all done.... The  Faber looks reasonably priced too
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I use either faber or pigtail stuff, its top quality but how much of an improvement it gives you is a thread all of its own! :) im sure there are other makers that are equally as good. I love the easy fit faber studs, that hold whichever tailpiece you choose on tight so doesnt fall off when changing strings. :) 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    edited January 2019
    tone1 said:
    Brilliant thanks.. mine is the Callaham ABR-1 .. it arrived with the saddles set up for a leftie.. I googled how to press the saddles out...What a fuss the Callaham make about making a jig and a brass drift in a pillar drill... 2 bits of wood and gentle pressure and 10 mins later all done... I’ve quite enjoyed notching the saddles. I bought a nut file set, set intonation and all done.... The  Faber looks reasonably priced too
    I bottled it and ordered a pre slotted Callaham - luckily it was in line with my pole pieces. They've gone up a lot in price since I bought mine.

I got my Faber from @streethawk of this parish. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited January 2019
    I like the Faber hardware, too.  I think they're a step up from stock Gibson hardware, and pretty reasonably priced for what you get.

These are also supposed to be good, but more expensive.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1802
    Faber.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14684
    I enjoy the Mojoaxe wrapover on my elderly Melody Maker.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    @hotpickups Thanks mate, but I only need a stop bar  :)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    tone1 said:
    @hotpickups Thanks mate, but I only need a stop bar  :)
    Ah ok. Well worth it IMO. I think it's the integral ingredient for making a guitar sound better. Well one of them I guess ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/