More ebay payment questions

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 664
What non-cash method of payment do you use for a large value cash on collection guitar (or anything)?
Alternatives to taking a wodge of actual cash to an eba yitem you are going to travel to see' check out and pick up?
And is there a way of putting a BuyItNow ebay guitar(item) into a status of Going To Be Picked Up In A Few Days, and prevent others clicking BIN?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5471
    Direct bank transfer works fine, in advance or on the day. The buyer does have to go through the BIN process though, but they can do that and not pay via PayPal.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6981
    What you buying @darius?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1329
    Get the seller to edit price to a very high amount, the listing will still be live but no one will buy it ..If you dont like it  the seller can edit it back down.
    Back to you ,do not bank transfer money before you see/play it..it could be a dog/fake/etc and the seller might play funny bugger if you change your mind and he has your money
    .If you are worried about carrying money leave it in the car either with someone or in the boot next to the spare tyre..check guitar and out if its great just say you are popping to car for the money ..
  • I've done a couple of PayPal transactions with collections, both as buyer and seller - with the PayPal app (or just the mobile site) it only take s a few seconds.

Having said that, if you're trying to avoid PayPal fees then that's no good!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

I've done a couple of PayPal transactions with collections, both as buyer and seller - with the PayPal app (or just the mobile site) it only take s a few seconds.

Yeah, if OP is the *buyer* then PayPal + collection is fine; but I would never allow it as a seller as it opens the door to all manner of scams and you’re not protected at all. 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    Whitecat said:
    I've done a couple of PayPal transactions with collections, both as buyer and seller - with the PayPal app (or just the mobile site) it only take s a few seconds.

Yeah, if OP is the *buyer* then PayPal + collection is fine; but I would never allow it as a seller as it opens the door to all manner of scams and you’re not protected at all. 
    Won’t this lead to a catch 22 situation?- Buyer wants PayPal + but seller doesn’t?
    Sorry if I’m missing something and being a bit thick!
    PhilW1 said:
    Whitecat said:

Won’t this lead to a catch 22 situation?- Buyer wants PayPal + but seller doesn’t?
    Sorry if I’m missing something and being a bit thick!
    Some people will allow PayPal + collection basically because they don’t know any better. 

If seller won’t do that (and they shouldn’t) then not much a buyer can do but pay cash or bank xfer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whitecat said:

I've had sellers pay by PayPal when collecting in person twice and it's been fine... might have to rethink that in future then!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• goatgoat Frets: 98
    Paypal gift on collection should be fine. No risk to the seller that way but no protection for the buyer so you would need to inspect the item thoroughly first to be 100% sure everything is OK.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 664
    If buyer wants paypal then i guess seller has to agree because ebay forces it as the default option. Collecting in person means you can see what youre getting. Just if you both agree cash is best, then was wondering what 'cash' methods are out there. Live bank transfer from mobile banking app has been suggested. Is it always instant? the seller would need to check the funds have arrived before parting with the guitar.
    Is there a paypal option that doesnt incur massive fees for both parties?

goat said:
    Paypal gift on collection should be fine. No risk to the seller that way but no protection for the buyer so you would need to inspect the item thoroughly first to be 100% sure everything is OK.
    Is this free of any fees?
    Its only the same non-protection as provided by cash.
    edited January 2019
    Whitecat said:

I've had sellers pay by PayPal when collecting in person twice and it's been fine... might have to rethink that in future then!
    Most people are honest, thankfully. 

But if a scammer wanted to, they can pay PayPal, collect, then report the item as “undelivered” and get a refund because you have no proof you shipped it. The ONLY evidence they accept is a tracking number viewable online by a major courier company. They won’t accept signed invoices/receipts, letters, photos, etc. So you’d be screwed if challenged. 
    mrkb said:
    What you buying @darius?
    Another guitar of course!
    Maybe.
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:

But if a scammer wanted to, they can pay PayPal, collect, then report the item as “undelivered” and get a refund because you have no proof you shipped it. The ONLY evidence they accept is a tracking number viewable online by a major courier company. They won’t accept signed invoices/receipts, letters, photos, etc. So you’d be screwed if challenged. 
    But thats the case for anything that is 'Pick Up Only' . You don't have to post anything you sell.
    For big stuff I write a receipt out, 2 copies, Item received/sold as seen/£, named and signed by buyer and seller.
    edited January 2019
    darius said:
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:

But thats the case for anything that is 'Pick Up Only' . You don't have to post anything you sell.
    For big stuff I write a receipt out, 2 copies, Item received/sold as seen/£, named and signed by buyer and seller.
    Yeah, but if you take cash or a direct bank transfer then there can be no scam - if someone decides to report to eBay "item not received" you can report "payment not received", right?

Those signed receipts you do are not accepted by PayPal as proof of collection! They might be in court if it got that far, but certainly not by the helper drones PP has. People have tried it. As I said above, they will ONLY take an online-trackable number for a "major" courier (so no 'small operators' either, this prevents people setting up their own "shipping companies" to work scams).

What I do on my listings is insist that people pay cash on collection, and if they insist on paying PayPal then I insist on a courier - no exceptions. That way you're eBay payment-method compliant, but still self-protecting.
  • mortmort Frets: 720
    goat said:
    This is not as foolproof as it sounds. If the buyer instigates a PayPal chargeback you will loose your money and guitar. At least with ‘normal’ PayPal payment you can defend against a chargeback. With a gift payment you can’t.
    Whitecat said:
    darius said:
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:

Yeah, but if you take cash or a direct bank transfer then there can be no scam - if someone decides to report to eBay "item not received" you can report "payment not received", right?

Those signed receipts you do are not accepted by PayPal as proof of collection! They might be in court if it got that far, but certainly not by the helper drones PP has. People have tried it. As I said above, they will ONLY take an online-trackable number for a "major" courier (so no 'small operators' either, this prevents people setting up their own "shipping companies" to work scams).

What I do on my listings is insist that people pay cash on collection, and if they insist on paying PayPal then I insist on a courier - no exceptions. That way you're eBay payment-method compliant, but still self-protecting.
    Are you saying you would courier something that someone rightly wants to see in person before buying?
    Bonkers that Ebay and Paypal scammers just seem to get away with it, and actually have a massive impact on the rest of us.
    darius said:
    Whitecat said:
    darius said:
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:

Are you saying you would courier something that someone rightly wants to see in person before buying?
    Bonkers that Ebay and Paypal scammers just seem to get away with it, and actually have a massive impact on the rest of us.
    If they refuse to pay cash or bank transfer if they decide to buy it, then yeah. It’s honestly not come up yet as a problem. 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2045
    edited January 2019
    ^ if someone has bid or BIN on eBay they’ve *already* bought it on the strength of the photos and description. The collection is just a collection, not a chance to kick tyres and have buyers remorse. 
    So yeah, pay,ent methids are all there, cash, transfer or full protected paypal. The problem i'm still left with is if you dont want to biy before you see, and youve arranged to go see and buy, anyone anywhere who is happy buying off photos and description can just click BIN and you've lost. Could happen while youve got it. In your hands and ready to buy.