NPD: Thorpy The Fat General compressor

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 341
    I've been banging on about how good this pedal is for aaaaages!

As you've said, that treble control does do something that improves overall tone/harmonics. It doesn't colour the tone as such but it definitely makes everything sound better...it's hard to describe but it sounds like you're hearing what I've been trying to tell people since it was released!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are the V1 large enclosures the same internally (as in the same circuit...I realise the V2 might be arranged differently) as the V2s?
  • Are the V1 large enclosures the same internally (as in the same circuit...I realise the V2 might be arranged differently) as the V2s?
    Apparently, exactly the same sound.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    Bloody hell Waz, you’re not doing my GAS any good  :)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Are the V1 large enclosures the same internally (as in the same circuit...I realise the V2 might be arranged differently) as the V2s?
    same circuit, same through hole components. CRUCIALLY same sound
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • To call it a ‘compressor’ is a shame really, because it’s a description that limits (forgive the pun) the scope of this pedal...

Its part comp, part EP booster ish, part enhancer, part chimney.... strange descriptions i know but whatever, it’s revolutionised my board and sound...
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Waz, do you think it could replace the clean on my ryra? How does it handle having a fuzz chucked at it? Can it handle such a heavy signal without compression (before asking it to compress)? In your case, does it handle a full on duellist signal?
  • lukedlb said:
    Waz, do you think it could replace the clean on my ryra? How does it handle having a fuzz chucked at it? Can it handle such a heavy signal without compression (before asking it to compress)? In your case, does it handle a full on duellist signal?
    Only if your RYRA is plain silver with oxblood knobs...in which case, you can sell it to me.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • This is not good for my GAS......after using a compressor for around 28 years I recently convinced myself that I didn't really need one and have been gigging for over a year now without one, and not missing it at all.......until hearing about this pedal...
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    lukedlb said:
    Only if your RYRA is plain silver with oxblood knobs...in which case, you can sell it to me.
    Fraid not. Mine’s with the graphics. 
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4298
    Defo interested to try the Fat General, after the gushing above.  =)

I have been through loads of different comps, from cheapie to Cali76, my favourite is The FMR A.R.C. (below). But maybe the FG could be better, will have to check it out.

• damm73damm73 Frets: 361
    Has anyone tried both this and the Effectrode LA-1A? How do they compare if so?

I've previously had the Cornish, big box Cali76, sliderig CD and Effectrode PC-2A but have been using the LA-1A since it was first released a couple years ago. 

I'm extremely happy with the Effectrode but it sounds like the FG might be able to achieve the same kind of results in a smaller, less ball-ache-ingly power hungry package. 
  • lukedlb said:
    It could def replace the clean RYRA, but I dont use fuzz or high gain so I cant comment. Maybe Adrian can chip in here ?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    lukedlb said:
    It could def replace the clean RYRA, but I dont use fuzz or high gain so I cant comment. Maybe Adrian can chip in here ?
    As a compressor/limiter sheen provider it can take a strong signal from an overdrive etc... As for fuzz, it will handle that kind of signal but.... the level of compression you would run would eb a lot lower to cope.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • damm73 said:

I've previously had the Cornish, big box Cali76, sliderig CD and Effectrode PC-2A but have been using the LA-1A since it was first released a couple years ago. 

I'm extremely happy with the Effectrode but it sounds like the FG might be able to achieve the same kind of results in a smaller, less ball-ache-ingly power hungry package. 
    I own an LA-1A, Markbass Compressore and an API Tranzformer, and gave the FG a good whirl in a local shop.

The FG and the LA1A are not really comparable. The LA1A has a level of tone enhancement that few other pedals can come come close to. Even the API with its op amps and transformer can’t offer quite the same thing.

The FG impressed me with its lack of noise, even with the compression levels cranked. The tone control is very musical and the blend function allowed it to be very transparent. My advice would be to have both. Different tools offering different results. If you said to me that you were predominantly playing 12-string electric, I could totally see you using both at the same time. For that task, the recorded sounds we associate with the 12-string are all about layers of compression, much of it done in the studio. Nowadays similar results are possible on our pedalboards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • damm73 said:

I own an LA-1A, Markbass Compressore and an API Tranzformer, and gave the FG a good whirl in a local shop.

The FG and the LA1A are not really comparable. The LA1A has a level of tone enhancement that few other pedals can come come close to. Even the API with its op amps and transformer can’t offer quite the same thing.

The FG impressed me with its lack of noise, even with the compression levels cranked. The tone control is very musical and the blend function allowed it to be very transparent. My advice would be to have both. Different tools offering different results. If you said to me that you were predominantly playing 12-string electric, I could totally see you using both at the same time. For that task, the recorded sounds we associate with the 12-string are all about layers of compression, much of it done in the studio. Nowadays similar results are possible on our pedalboards.
    Good summary mate... and Im a 12 string Ricky player :)
  • In terms of making making your 12-string really jangle, try changing the tone controls to a passive treble and bass circuit as found on G&L and Reverend guitars. Cutting bass frequencies is more important than boosting treble in my experiece
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom