Diamond Amps

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
Seen a Spec Op today for what seems like a crazy cheap price, does anyone here have much experience of them? There seems to be very little in terms of quality demos online. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had a Spec Op and a Phantom. I will pm you.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Cool, cheers dude. 
  • Heard pretty great things about them, and I too have seen them go criminally cheap.

No idea if they are good though.

In other words, I contribute nout to this thread, but would be interested in thoughts. Basically.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3454
    I tried a Balinese recently , it was dreadful. However it was the 30w version rather than the tweed deluxey one .
  • FretKingFretKing Frets: 53
    The Spec-Op is basically their take on the CAA OD100SE - remember, Martin Golub
    did those mods for Bradshaw for years after Suhr left so he's well placed to voice his 
    own take on that sound. 

They are built like a tank, it has a superb clean channel as good as the CAA.
    and can cover everything gain-wise.

It was a bugger to sell, basically because folk are quite uninformed as to the background
    of the company and design ethic. To say its a sleeper and probably the best value around for
    a channel switcher is quite the understatement.

Only thing I'd say is, like every channel switcher I've tried or owned, theres something about the voicing that ultimately
    I didn't bond with (not tried the Friedman stuff yet !).

Graeme

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The spec op is an awesome weapon. Pristine cleans, chunky crunch tones and some of the highest quality high gain sounds youll ever hear. Very sensitive to cab choice and not the nicest amp to look at either, but a superb amp otherwise.
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    edited April 2014
    I ran a Spitifre II for a couple of years - nice amp . Sounded like a jcm800 crossed with a dual rec . I liked the feel of it too - Nice and saggy :-)
    It cost me a fortune new and I got a good price for it when i sold it, but that was when there was still a bit of a buzz about them.
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    timmysoft;222653" said:
    The spec op is an awesome weapon. Pristine cleans, chunky crunch tones and some of the highest quality high gain sounds youll ever hear. Very sensitive to cab choice and not the nicest amp to look at either, but a superb amp otherwise.
    We hammered a few of 'em didnt we dudeman !!?? :-)

timmysoft said:
    Been offered one for £450. Does that sound too cheap to you? Looking at stock price something doesn't seem right. 
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 278
    That is ridiculously cheap, there's a Spec Op head and cab on eBay at the moment for £1400...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

Maybe too cheap.  Got to be an issue with it. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    There's one just advertised on the FB trading page I admin for 1k so that sounds mega cheap - can you try it? If it works ok then it must be tempting!
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1703
    Ive played one and it was fantastic! However, Im not sure what the reliability is like from them. I *think* that they are an Americian only company so any repairs has to be done by your local bod but as for sounds go, one of the best sounding amps Ive played. 

Tonally, Id have to say something similar to a Marshall Mesa but it was very impressive. 
    See, I love my current amp but a deal like that even if I hated it then trade should be another option. 

It's a fair trek to drive for it and now the guy is offering £15 postage. 

It just seems too good to be true. 
    Which page is that @John_P?
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1703
    for £450, Id do it but be prepared to get it to your tech if needs be. Saying that, Mark 1/2 Peavey 5150s are all about £500 and Im sure they were mesa bucks when they came out.. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Deijavoo said:
    Which page is that @John_P?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/425758884111703/

The ad was back on the 11th April and he wanted £950 but the pic has gone so he's probably sold it or changed his mind.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom