NAD

BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
edited April 2014 in Amps
Well, Thursday was anyway. My little back up amp arrived.

£189 new, absolute Bargain, if you are considering one, then I would recommend it. At first I wasn't too taken with it, I plugged my Ruokangas into it first and was only pleased with the lower gain amp models and JC Clean channel.

Then I plugged in my Wolfgang and a smile quickly spread across my mug. My Ruokangas has lower output pick ups and didn't quite cut it on some models, but the Wolfgang, having hotter pick ups sounds great through every single setting on this amp. I'm not a "Metal" guitar player, but the high gain sounds on this amp are really good.

That German demo I posted in the "Effects with Solid State Amps" thread is bang on what this amp sounds like, just at home in a room, no studio trickery, it sounds the same.

I remember someone posting a "Guess The Amp" thread a while back and nearly everyone(myself included) was guessing at Fender Tube Amps or Egnaters, the amp turned out to be a Peavey Bandit, which sounded very nice.

Now, because I am NOT an Amp expert, in a blind test done at a reasonable volume, I might struggle to guess what amp is being played when A/B'd between the real thing and the amp models on the cube, like I said, I don't have the experienced ear, but I do have a set of Lug 'Oles and this amp brought a smile to my face. 

They do a very good job of sounding like what one might expect a Twin or Deluxe etc to sound like. It's never gonna be bang on, but it's a good effort.

I love the Tweed setting, I don't know what Amp Steve Jones used for recording "God Save The Queen" but I ripped straight into that tune when I heard that tone come from the amp.

I can imagine this amp to be ideal for doing Cover Band work or any small to medium gig.

Does it need micing up or lining out to a cab to cut through in a band??? I can't say, I don't have that experience with it. The bugger is loud, that I can say.

I am a fan of this amp even though I have my Bogner rig, which sounds gorgeous with both my guitars and I will always favour the Bogner, but for £189 for a quick set up, back up solution, you can't go wrong with it.

I bought the Boss FS-5U Footswitch(£20) with it and will probably get the FS-6 as well, I need to know what other footswitches I need to cover all switching purposes for a live situation. The FS-5U switches between clean and lead channels, but I also want something to switch on and off the FX without having to go to the amp and something for the switching the "Solo" function on and off.

So, nearer £229 for amp and 2 Footswitches, still a bargain.

EDIT: Re the Mod FX, very pleased with those as long as they are set to subtle levels, can be a bit overcooked, nice delay and reverb. 

Just remember YMMV greatly depending what guitar you've got plugged into it. I went from thinking "It'll Do, I suppose" to "This is pretty fecking awesome".

Thanks for listening.

:-)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2043
    I had one of its baby brothers (the 30x, I think). The clean sound was truly fab.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2413
    Nice :D
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6263
    It's a purposeful little bugger ain't it. You could silence a few heckler's with a quick swing of it and continue on playing. I hear nothing but good comments about these amps nowadays.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9868
    I've just bought the Cube 40XL for £119 and am more than pleased. The amp models are really very good for a solid-state amp, and like the OP I particularly like the 'tweed' setting. I previously owned the 20XL which was a great bedroom amp and even managed the occasional small gig. The 40XL is just so much better in every way, but particulatly in having a decent number of useable amp models. I also like the fact that it is quite compact and doesn't weigh a great deal, so is very portable. A great amp for not too much money.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    Good purchase @Bellycaster and my 10 yr old Cube 60 has similar models and has served me very well for fucntions and as a back up.
    If you play a decent valve amp, for sure, you'll feel and hear the difference, but that doesn't mean these amps won't deliver.

Nice one and enjoy :)