Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dunlop Max Grip plectrums - pure witchcraft

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7700
 how grippy are those things?

I bought a little mixed sample bag of plecs at the guitar show and there are a couple in it - very cool 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I will look into these. I'm really stuck on Dunlop Primetone picks at the moment, best I've found so far, playing sounds a hundred times better with good quality plectrum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I don't think there's any substitute for holding a pick properly.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • They're great, very grippy.  The Flow picks have the same kind of grip.  
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11515
    I will look into these. I'm really stuck on Dunlop Primetone picks at the moment, best I've found so far, playing sounds a hundred times better with good quality plectrum.

I'm tempted to try those.

Good plectrums do make a difference.  My wife bought me a Blue Chip one for my birthday last year.  It really is very good, but it's seriously expensive.  I also prefer Jazz III XL size.  Blue Chip are making that size now, but I'm hesitant to spend £35 on one.  If I can find a cheaper option it would be good.

I had a Hawk pick for a while that was good, but it snapped in half.  At £12 or so a time, that could get expensive as well.

Anyone have any other options?

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3093
    Very grippy. Too grippy for me actually, I found the primetones to be much grippier than the Max Grips.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7700
    crunchman said:
    I will look into these. I'm really stuck on Dunlop Primetone picks at the moment, best I've found so far, playing sounds a hundred times better with good quality plectrum.

Good plectrums do make a difference.  My wife bought me a Blue Chip one for my birthday last year.  It really is very good, but it's seriously expensive.  I also prefer Jazz III XL size.  Blue Chip are making that size now, but I'm hesitant to spend £35 on one.  If I can find a cheaper option it would be good.

I had a Hawk pick for a while that was good, but it snapped in half.  At £12 or so a time, that could get expensive as well.

I had 2 blue chips. Lost both of them. Ouch 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    crunchman said:

That's what I'm worried about with Blue Chips.  Before it broke, I lost the Hawk one for a couple of months before it turned up again.  Bad enough with a £12 plectrum, let alone one that costs 3 times that.

Surely someone else can work out what material Blue Chip use, and make one at a cheaper price.

edited February 2019
    crunchman said:
    TimmyO said:
    crunchman said:

That's what I'm worried about with Blue Chips.  Before it broke, I lost the Hawk one for a couple of months before it turned up again.  Bad enough with a £12 plectrum, let alone one that costs 3 times that.

Surely someone else can work out what material Blue Chip use, and make one at a cheaper price.

it's well known what they are made of - and for that reason no you can't knock them out cheaper - it's a really expensive engineering composite 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    edited February 2019
    Do any well-known pros use these massively expensive picks?

It seems like madness paying £12 for a plectrum to me - never mind £35!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    edited February 2019
    crunchman said:

Going down the exspensive pick rabbit hole at the moment.... have a couple of blue chip, two Wolfram and a hawke, closest cheap-ish alternative I’ve found is the primetone smooth (not the clear ones with grips, they sound much brighter). If you like a Bluchip at 1.5 (with a speed bevel) you’ll want to try a primetone smooth slightly thinner for a comparable tone like 1.3, the 1.5 sound much duller/darker. 

Bluechip put a patent on using vespal material for a guitar pick use. And it’s bloooody exspensive stuff too. 
  • longjaw said:

It seems like madness paying £12 for a plectrum to me - never mind £35!!!
    Certainly some notable acoustic/ blue grass players and some jazzers using Blue Chip ( Julian Lage I believe does). I was watching a couple of Julian Lage videos the other days ( the ones where he gets his audience to be colour co-ordinated which is a bit weird) and I'm fairly sure it's not just having a better plectrum that would bridge the gap between me and him. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    There was/is no doubt in my mind that they sounded better - but having lost 2, I won't be getting another! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    There was/is no doubt in my mind that they sounded better - but having lost 2, I won't be getting another! 
    Out of curiosity I guess the question is sounded better on what? On a nice acoustic seems reasonable, on a Jazzmaster through three fuzz pedals seems less likely. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    brucegill said:
    crunchman said:

Going down the exspensive pick rabbit hole at the moment.... have a couple of blue chip, two Wolfram and a hawke, closest cheap-ish alternative I’ve found is the primetone smooth (not the clear ones with grips, they sound much brighter). If you like a Bluchip at 1.5 (with a speed bevel) you’ll want to try a primetone smooth slightly thinner for a comparable tone like 1.3, the 1.5 sound much duller/darker. 

Bluechip put a patent on using vespal material for a guitar pick use. And it’s bloooody exspensive stuff too. 

You are right.  It is expensive.

From what I can see, the Patent is still pending and hasn't been granted.

If I've googled it correctly, the DuPont patent on the material expires in 2023, so the price of the material might come down a bit.

Has anyone found another material with similar qualities?

• Love them but wish they’d put the same grip on some tortex picks as well
  • longjaw said:

Yes.

Guthrie Govan has a signature Red Bear pick. Jimmy Herring endorses them too- American jam band bloke.

V-Picks (which are dirt cheap compared to some of the fancy pick companies) have a decent lineup of endorsers.

Blue Chip's endorsers seem to be mostly acoustic-y bluegrass dudes (and dudettes), some of whom I've heard of.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3527
    @EricTheWeary I was about ten feet away from Julian when he played the Vortex in London last year. He's something else.
    anyway - these max grip things - really surprised by how tactile they are just from having tiny ridges on 
    Red ones are better. 
  • V Picks every time for me, been using the Euro version for a good few years now, my wrinkley old fingers love em, can't remember ever dropping one while playing, as your fingers warm up the pick seems to get grippier, Worth every penny.  
  • SRichSRich Frets: 764
    Agreed on the V Picks......they bring something else.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have"