Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Adrian Legg

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    Jon Gomm uses those tuners on Wilma, his trusty Lowden  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    He should get a clip-on tuner. Save himself a lot of hassle.
  • Got this on now, there is a version of the country singer story so I wasn't dreaming it after all. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Huge influence on my playing back in the early eighties. He has immense technique and very innovative. I had an Adamas with Schaller Scruggs pegs and I added guitar synth to the mix - I wish I still had the gear/technique/fingers that work. 

In the end I felt that it was more gymnastic than musical and when I listen back to his recordings I still feel that way. Went back to being a blues basher. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    I first came across Adrian as a player way back in the ‘80s playing in the back room of a pub in Cricklewood having recognised his name from the Guitarist columns[1]. I was gobsmacked by the things he was doing then and I still am now...

[1] I vaguely recall a number of them featuring the development of a very heavily customised Stratocaster with additional knobs, switches, sockets, pickups, and heaven-knows-what-else in every conceivable location which he used to refer to as the Explodercaster...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    edited February 2019
     I saw him support Satriani at Hammersmith back in the 90s 
    I was there! He was very good. my ignorant mates at the time stayed at the bar but I always watch support bands.

I have some of his albums, but to be honest I prefer acoustic music when I'm watching someone play rather than just listening. My fave song of his is Thump the clouds, a fast strummy number.
  • Anyone who uses the tuning pegs to change notes, perfectly in tune, as part of the melody is a wizard in my book
    They're not regular tuning pegs. They're called Keith tuners and they're meant to be used on banjos. They have two preset positions you can switch between, sort of like those D-Tuner things for Floyd Rose trems.

Which is not to say he isn't a wizard...
    The only example that comes to mind of someone doing it is Monkey in a Movie by Jim Campilongo. Bit different I guess but doin' it with a regula chooner. 
    Jake E Lee used to use the tuning pegs to simulate whammy bar dives; I remember reading an interview with Ozzy Osbourne where he said that he didn't think Jake would be able to play all of Randy Rhoads' parts without a whammy bar, but he nailed it
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone who uses the tuning pegs to change notes, perfectly in tune, as part of the melody is a wizard in my book
    They're not regular tuning pegs. They're called Keith tuners and they're meant to be used on banjos. They have two preset positions you can switch between, sort of like those D-Tuner things for Floyd Rose trems.

The only example that comes to mind of someone doing it is Monkey in a Movie by Jim Campilongo. Bit different I guess but doin' it with a regula chooner. 
    Jake E Lee used to use the tuning pegs to simulate whammy bar dives; I remember reading an interview with Ozzy Osbourne where he said that he didn't think Jake would be able to play all of Randy Rhoads' parts without a whammy bar, but he nailed it
    The only other one that came to mind is a Gillan song where the bass is gradually detuned as the ending to the song.* Not very melodic and maybe one for the end of the set but I love how people get inventive with this stuff. 

* Might be Puget Sound? I can't quite remember. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Anyone who uses the tuning pegs to change notes, perfectly in tune, as part of the melody is a wizard in my book

I have an old guitar world mag from the 90s where he explains the different techniques he used to get different guitar effects. I thought that his playing was really cool on Ozzys Ultimate sin album, good solos
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2486
    Adrian Legg designed the electronics for these as well..

guess who's just redicovered his imgur account.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2235
    Found that really nice to listen to. 
  • axisus said:
    Anyone who uses the tuning pegs to change notes, perfectly in tune, as part of the melody is a wizard in my book

I have an old guitar world mag from the 90s where he explains the different techniques he used to get different guitar effects. I thought that his playing was really cool on Ozzys Ultimate sin album, good solos
    He's a great player. The latest Red Dragon Cartel album (Patina, I think it's called) is a cracker
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2431
    I seem to remember Nick Harper doing the banjo tuner thing too?
  • I recall those well.  The Standard  (I think that's a custom?) was far better than all the other Strat inspired stuff at the time (and way better than the Big Fs).  I'd bought an Ibanez, just before these were released, and was rather sad.  A friend bought the P bass equivalent and it was wonderful too.

I also have his book of the time; Customising Your Electric Guitar.  It demystified some basic electronics for schoolboy me and inspired towards a career in engineering.

Engineers change, the world you know.
  • I met him in the early 80's when he did a evening masterclass at a local guitar store.  I worked in a Hi-Fi shop next door and would often go in at lunchtime to pester the management into giving me a job there instead.  Adrian turned up mega-early for his show and we got to talking.  He was a total pleasure to chat with, incredibly humble and insanely talented.

The thing I remember most though was, he'd been sent some gold strings to try out.  We chatted while he put them on and, after about ten minutes playing, he took to them with a pair tin snips, with much gusto - and with language that my grandfather used to call, "...broad and full-blooded Anglo-Saxon sentiments of disapproval."
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • FX_Munkee said:
    Adrian Legg designed the electronics for these as well..

I assume that means there's something more interesting going on in there than the average Les Paul?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2486
    Series, Parallel or coil tap selection modes for the pickups (switch by knobs). Not exactly revolutionary but quite neat for the eighties.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.