Songs you just love playing?

TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868

I find myself in a bit of a rut and thought I'd break it by seeing what songs people really enjoy playing:

Recently I've been enjoying playing along with

Highway Star - Deep Purple
Into the Arena - Micheal Schenker Group
Comfortably numb - Pink Floyd

Not into Purple or MSG but I love playing these songs!

Anyone got any recommendations?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Most songs by Iron Maiden, Metallica (upto, and including the Black album), etc

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1419
    Thin Lizzy  - Live & dangerous from start to finish.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Haha was gonna say Highway Star!

I suppose The Trooper and Wasted Years by Maiden come next; Two Princes by Spin Doctors; Creeping Death, Seek & Destroy, For Whom The Bell Tolls and (if I'm warmed up) Master Of Puppets by the mighty 'Tallica. And most of Appetite For Destruction.

All practice and no theory
  • Heaven knows Im miserable by the smiths. I am the ressurection by The stone roses. Nightrain guns n roses.
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    Everything on passion and warfare is pure pleasure to play, and surprisingly easy once you get accustomed to Vai's shapes.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    All The Smiths, Jam, Damned and Red hot chili pepper albums. I never tire of them.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    viz said:
    Everything on passion and warfare is pure pleasure to play, and surprisingly easy once you get accustomed to Vai's shapes.

I have tried and failed to play for the love of god many times, I always get about halfway then hit the wall :)

I would add Anything Goes by G&R to my list too :)

Never got into Maiden, so never played any maybe I should give them a go? I will seek out Trooper and Wasted years.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

@SimonC   I'm in a Lizzy Tribute band so I play along to Live and Dangerous before every gig, that albums kinda our bible much more so than the studio stuff

Also love playing early Van Halen like Unchained, Hear about it later, Panama etc. Really into country at the mo as well. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    mike_l;224216" said:
    that Bob Marley phase didn't last long then Mike..? :)

[Too much caffeine now Eric, too much]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The Black Crowes - Hard to Handle (I know it's not originally a BC number). Great solo, fun rhythm.
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    viz said:

I have tried and failed to play for the love of god many times, I always get about halfway then hit the wall :)

I would add Anything Goes by G&R to my list too :)

Never got into Maiden, so never played any maybe I should give them a go? I will seek out Trooper and Wasted years.

he uses the diagonal sweeps a lot (see his 10 hour work out). Once you can do a diagonal sweep you can do most of that middle section.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Stranger in a strange land is also awesome, with a fantastic solo from Adrian Smith.
    mike_l;224216" said:
    that Bob Marley phase didn't last long then Mike..? :)

Shh, you'll ruin my rep for only listening to metal.
    :|

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    The unfinished ones: "Ring Away", "Vile Bodies" and "Poor You" (which is partly a nod to Prometheus Unbound).
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
    Although I often tend to go from one set of songs to another, I visit these quite frequently.

Queen - Staying Power (Live at Milton Keynes Bowl Version)

Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number & Don't Take Me Alive

Blur - There's No Other Way

Tears For Fears - E.W.T.R.T.W

+ Chic, Prince, Jacko etc.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    The Black Crowes - Hard to Handle (I know it's not originally a BC number). Great solo, fun rhythm.
    Dug that out and played along tonight, forgotten how much fun it is :)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

Sweet Child o Mine makes me smile every single time I play it.

Rainbow in the Dark / Holy Diver - I can't play one without playing the other. Tons of fun.