Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Song analysis: The Beatles - Something

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2414
    I generally love the Beatles but I can't stand Something. I think it's corny and naff and by far the worst track on Abbey Road, not excepting Maxwell's Silver Hammer. But that might just be me.

Talking of Abbey Road, I would love someone who knows about these things to analyse Because. I think that's the one where John Lennon took a chord sequence from Bach and played it backwards? Either way, it's an amazing song and vocal performance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1857
    Stuckfast said:
    I generally love the Beatles but I can't stand Something. I think it's corny and naff and by far the worst track on Abbey Road, not excepting Maxwell's Silver Hammer. But that might just be me.

Talking of Abbey Road, I would love someone who knows about these things to analyse Because. I think that's the one where John Lennon took a chord sequence from Bach and played it backwards? Either way, it's an amazing song and vocal performance.
    I love Something and Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I tend to judge them in different contexts though. Something is an obvious love song or ballad and Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a novelty song and a brilliant one at that,in my humble opinion.
  • thingthing Frets: 469

I remember when I was a noob guitarist.. learning to play songs, chords, riffs and licks by ear..
    I recall seeing and hearing certain patterns being common and figured out how to use them myself...
    at the time I had no idea what they were called.. 
    that is until many years later when I found that I'd discovered several scales [maj / min / harm min / min pentatonic / man pentatonic]..
    but the killer thing was that I'd also discovered the relationship between them and stumbled upon the fact that they had a centre key..
    the essence of the relationship between the major and relative minor..
    and also the relationship between scale, chords and key..
    but then I was lucky enough to have a small gift with respect to aural perception..
    years later when I did all the 'learning' all of these fragments of notions and intuitions all fell into place..
    it was like seeing an image suddenly come into sharp focus..

Whoaaaa spooky. You've just put into words my exact musical journey. You have a great gift with words Paul.
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.