Eastman SB59 issues, advice appreciated!

What's Hot

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    lonestar said:
    @brucegill if you reread @gregm ‘s post that stated the action height you’ll note that he says he has arthritis. 
    Didn’t need to re read it. I read it. I asked if that’s what others would want, or aim for. I can’t personally imagine playing anything that low as I’m too heavy handed. It wasn’t a dig. 

brucegill said:
    Am i the only one thinking that’s a seriously low action requirement? Or is that normal for most of you? Honest question. Not a dig. 
    It is - and probably about as low as any guitar will take, assuming it’s not only destined to be used for legato/high gain styles.

PRS guitars typically allow very little adjustment below factory action specs - but there is ‘enough’ scope to go a little lower if you really want to. Presumably they are confident enough about the stability of their guitars that engineering them to such tight tolerances doesn’t cause problems.
    Thanks. That’s amazing when you think about all the variables. I’d be forever adjusting my trussrod at anything near those settings in my house! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gregmgregm Frets: 49
    edited March 2019
    brucegill said:
    Am i the only one thinking that’s a seriously low action requirement? Or is that normal for most of you? Honest question. Not a dig. 

Fair play to richard for the refund prior to delivery. He did bring that on himself though after the not very professional response. 

I have to to say I will never worry or stress about not having a Fender or Gibson logo on my headstock anymore. Shit does happen. It’s all been sorted. Everyone should be happy. We are a propped fussy lot when you look at it, let’s be honest. We want the best at half the price and setup to be perfect etc etc. I would hate to be a retailer in this day and age. 

Hope you end end up with something you love! If it helps, the last 4 guitars I’ve found that I really want are in Irlend, and I’m in Essex lol. 
    I've guitars that play amazingly well set much lower than this, the guy I get guitar lessons off has all his guitars set lower. Unfortunately I don't have a choice and playing the guitar is something I will enjoy as much as i can until I have to stop, but even if the high E is set at 1.5mm as is recommended on a Les Paul it allows .85mm of adjustment room in to the future as advised today. I am far from an expert, I have had many guitars and still do have too many my wife tells me quite often, but I have never seen a bridge on any guitar this low.
    I have Cort, Epiphone, Agile and Ibanez guitars that I didn't pay much for and they are amazing guitars to play and have had no issues whatsoever, I know from previous jobs that a 6% return rate in most manufacturing environments is really good. So no company producing volume can avoid a few issues with their guitars, some have less than others with good practice. I agree totally that being a retailer must be a pain in this day and age, I think the internet and email can magnify issues and allows people to speak to each other in a way that they would never be brave enough to do face to face. But it also provides the sharing of information that pushes companies to perform better, if that helps the consumer and it means better guitars then that is what is important in my opinion!
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2028
    I think if the Director of Eastman UK offered me a new one, I'd take it, because I would expect him to find me a really good one due to the previous experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    gregm said:
    brucegill said:

Fair play to richard for the refund prior to delivery. He did bring that on himself though after the not very professional response. 

I have to to say I will never worry or stress about not having a Fender or Gibson logo on my headstock anymore. Shit does happen. It’s all been sorted. Everyone should be happy. We are a propped fussy lot when you look at it, let’s be honest. We want the best at half the price and setup to be perfect etc etc. I would hate to be a retailer in this day and age. 

Hope you end end up with something you love! If it helps, the last 4 guitars I’ve found that I really want are in Irlend, and I’m in Essex lol. 
    I've guitars that play amazingly well set much lower than this, the guy I get guitar lessons off has all his guitars set lower. Unfortunately I don't have a choice and playing the guitar is something I will enjoy as much as i can until I have to stop, but even if the low E is set at 1.5mm as is recommended on a Les Paul it allows .85mm of adjustment room in to the future as advised today. I am far from an expert, I have had many guitars and still do have too many my wife tells me quite often, but I have never seen a bridge on any guitar this low.
    I have Cort, Epiphone, Agile, Ibanez guitars that are amazing guitars to play and have had no issues whatsoever, I know from previous jobs that a 6% return rate in most manufacturing environments is really good. So no company producing volume can avoid a few issues with their guitars, some have less than others with good practice. I agree totally that being a retailer must be a pain in this day and age, I think the internet and email can magnify issues and allows people to speak to each other in a way that they would never be brave enough to do face to face. But it also provides the sharing of information that pushes companies to perform better, if that helps the consumer and it means better guitars then that is what is important in my opinion!
    Yeah, I hear you. It is impressive that this thread has really helped. Sod being in this situation years back when a forum (Facebook or what ever) couldn’t have helped. But then I guess we wouldn’t have been able to be in this situation because online sales wouldn’t have existed. Aggg, catch 22. At least your sorted! (Though I know your out of pocket). 

Its good to hear guitars can be setup this low though. I’m starting to get problems in my left hand. Only playing acoustic at the moment though, so that’s not helping. 

Hope it all ends well mate. I’d personally go for the directors offer. As has been mentioned, sure he’ll pick out a good ‘un for you. It’s been more about the dealers reaction that’s sowered the deal. 

Good luck!! 
  • soma1975 said:
    So should I get an Eastman 386 or not?
    I've an Eastman semi a T64 which is their version of an ES 330 with P90's. I'm super pleased with it. 
    Probably the best semi hollow I've ever owned. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31913
    Schnozz said:
    I think if the Director of Eastman UK offered me a new one, I'd take it, because I would expect him to find me a really good one due to the previous experience.
    It's what you'd expect in principle, but that's not what always happens in a restaurant, for example. 

Though I guess it's less likely the head of Eastman will wank in your replacement guitar.
    :)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3961
    edited March 2019
    OK. I've just read a Facebook post......

edit: and as a result I'll continue my Gordon Smith search elsewhere.

Not going to say anymore as I'm fully aware of the position the admins are in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    @brucegill apologies, I misunderstood your post and my reply was a little sharp now that I read it back.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    edited March 2019
    lonestar said:
    @brucegill apologies, I misunderstood your post and my reply was a little sharp now that I read it back.
    To be honest, so was my reply to you. Apologies as well. I had had a shite night and a few Gins.... I did buy a new guitar later that night though, so the the Gin wasn’t all bad :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    brucegill said:
    lonestar said:
    To be honest, so was my reply to you. Apologies as well. I had had a shite night and a few Gins.... I did buy a new guitar later that night though, so the the Gin wasn’t all bad :) 
    Fair play to you man, I think I might need to treat myself to one of my builds shortly. But... no gin will be involved ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lonestar said:
    brucegill said:
    lonestar said:
    Fair play to you man, I think I might need to treat myself to one of my builds shortly. But... no gin will be involved ;)
    I thought that was a prerequisite to the Relicing process?  :o 
    tFB Trader
    Deadman said:
    OK. I've just read a Facebook post......

edit: and as a result I'll continue my Gordon Smith search elsewhere.

Not going to say anymore as I'm fully aware of the position the admins are in.
    I want to like Richard. I really mean that. But I don’t agree with the posts detailing transactions that has gone sour. We’ve ALL had them as manufacturers, retailers, customers.... but hell, post it on a business page? No chance.

The funny thing is, I’ve been seriously considering Eastman as a viable substitute to my Gibson GAS. Not that I’d be buying any time soon but I don’t think I’d feel particularly happy knowing that should the deal turn bad I might end up as a Facebook post on his business page.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 752
    Other shops sell Eastman 
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    tFB Trader
    fnpt said:
    Other shops sell Eastman 
    Oh I know and my point is that based on the way he conducts himself on his business page means that I probably wouldn’t buy from him. Eastman could very well have a guitar in their range for me but it wouldn’t be purchased through Richard.
    tFB Trader
    brucegill said:
    lonestar said:
    brucegill said:
    lonestar said:
    I thought that was a prerequisite to the Relicing process?  :o 
    Haha no. I don’t drink anymore and I age bodies and necks everyday :)
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3324
    lonestar said:
    fnpt said:
    Other shops sell Eastman 
    Oh I know and my point is that based on the way he conducts himself on his business page means that I probably wouldn’t buy from him. Eastman could very well have a guitar in their range for me but it wouldn’t be purchased through Richard.
    Definitely look at Eastman if you want the feel of a higher end Gibson Scott, my sb59 was tested alongside a whole range of LPs and was the closest I could get to a good custom shop Gibson without a price tag that was totally out of my league. I’ve since seen a few come up on here at s/h prices that put them within most players reach.

I also had a T59 (335) for a while and though I didn’t need it, it was a fantastic guitar.

Don’t let this one Eastman thread put you off  (admittedly the second forum thread in 2 weeks), a good one is a great guitar, sod the logo/manufacturer, etc.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Genuine question.

Why/how can he detail his customer's transactions publically, yet when a customer details a transaction, solicitors and defamation are threatened? 

Apart from it being highly unprofessional, its also hypocrital no?

I feel like each side just fuels the other with this.  

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    skunkwerx said:
    Genuine question.

Why/how can he detail his customer's transactions publically, yet when a customer details a transaction, solicitors and defamation are threatened? 

One side has a public platform which equates to a personal fiefdom and the other has to resort to a third party public platform which is governed by stricter scrutiny.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    mbe said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Genuine question.

One side has a public platform which equates to a personal fiefdom and the other has to resort to a third party public platform which is governed by stricter scrutiny.
    Ahh I see. Cheers man
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
This discussion has been closed.