SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - VHT Special 12 / 20

What's Hot
pottolompottolom Frets: 114
Probably a bit of a long shot as I don’t think they sold that many of these in the UK, but does anyone have a VHT Special 12 / 20 they want to sell?

I love my Special 6 Ultra, but would like some more clean headroom at gigging volume, and I think the 12 / 20 would fit the bill.....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited March 2019
    Can’t help you but I watched on eBay for two or three years to eventually pick up a 12/20R.  It was a bargain price, great amp but afflicted with noise that made it unusable: google reveals that many perhaps most of them had this crippling issue.  The non reverb may have been less noisy if I recall correctly but yeah that amp was a real disappointment, I ended up sending it back to the seller.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    mixolyd said:
    Can’t help you but I watched on eBay for two or three years to eventually pick up a 12/20R.  It was a bargain price, great amp but afflicted with noise that made it unusable: google reveals that many perhaps most of them had this crippling issue.  The non reverb may have been less noisy if I recall correctly but yeah that amp was a real disappointment, I ended up sending it back to the seller.
    I had a non reverb 12/20 that was also too noisy to use. Nothing like my Special 6 which was whisper quiet. Real shame! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    mixolyd said:
    I had a non reverb 12/20 that was also too noisy to use. Nothing like my Special 6 which was whisper quiet. Real shame! 
    Sniff! [wipes tear] :'(
    edited March 2019
    mixolyd said:
    mixolyd said:
    Sniff! [wipes tear]
    I know - on paper it was nigh on perfect!! Perhaps a good tech might be able to fix whatever design flaw they had @pottolom if you can get a good deal and factor that in...

Edit: and good luck!! I’d love to hear a positive end to this story!!
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    Thanks gents. You’ve definitely made me question the logic in buying one of these....

Any suggested alternatives in a similar price bracket?
    edited March 2019
    Yeah I wouldn’t try again unless I just happened upon one I could try beforehand in my hometown AND had a tech lined up to sort out future trouble.  The sound with tremolo and the reverb on was magical, mojo poured out all over the floor and I still don’t want to try again.

There is nothing else like it in the price range they were a special amp.  I’m looking again now and I don’t see much under a grand (with great cleans and overdrive tones and pref reverb) except AC15, Princeton, DRRI and maybe an old clone like a Traynor or something.  
    pottolom said:
    Thanks gents. You’ve definitely made me question the logic in buying one of these....

‘68 Princeton would be a good bet - I really liked mine for thick cleans and the trem was awesome. 

That said, any decent amp with a Strymon Flint would probably do just as good a job!
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    pottolom said:

‘68 Princeton would be a good bet - I really liked mine for thick cleans and the trem was awesome. 

That said, any decent amp with a Strymon Flint would probably do just as good a job!
    Thanks! Princeton Reverbs look great, but they seem so expensive for what they are!