Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    I'll be amazed if the aircom is regassed on Monday, that'll be done once the clutch has been checked and you've agreed to buy it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27077
    Emp_Fab said:
    So, correct me if I'm on the wrong track here, but I'm starting to detect the beginnings of a general vibe suggesting that I'm being a tad on the fussy side?
    Not sure where you got that impression ;)

Seriously...the way I see it, I set a budget for the car and then go looking for a car that speaks to me for about 2/3 of that budget. The rest of it is for fixing problems that pop up as a result of me not going over it with a fine-toothed comb to look for problems before I handed over the cash.

The end result is that I always get a car that I enjoy driving.
    <space for hire>
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27919
    Emp_Fab said:
    So, correct me if I'm on the wrong track here, but I'm starting to detect the beginnings of a general vibe suggesting that I'm being a tad on the fussy side?

"Fussy" isn't one of the first words that springs to my mind.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7704
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:

"Fussy" isn't one of the first words that springs to my mind.
    is it even in the first dozen? :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited August 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's your money at the end of the day, so be as fussy as you like, its certainly keeping us all entertained.

Every old, £2.5k car on a dealers forecourt will have worn components that can and will fail at any point. 

Only you know how the clutch on the car felt, (if you've replaced several clutches then you should know how a new ones feels.)

Can you wait another week for a car? 

Keep looking in the mean time.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    edited August 2019
    Well we are into the 5th month now (yes really!), 4 more months and we will be looking at Christmas....

It would be epic.

It does bring into question that does he even need a car at all though, if I can get by for 5 months going to work, shopping and daily life without a car, it sure is proof I don’t need one.  Having a car is a money pit, I would rather not have one if I don’t need one.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33947
    Emp_Fab said:
    Steady on.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24643
    Seventy five pages....   Wow.

I knew I was a pernickety old bugger but I'm not sure even I would have marked me down for this degree of what can only be described as psychological disorder.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27919
    Emp_Fab said:
     I'm not sure even I would have marked me down for this degree of what can only be described as psychological disorder.
    Some of us know you better than you know yourself
    ;) 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:
     I'm not sure even I would have marked me down for this degree of what can only be described as psychological disorder.
    ;) 
    Ahem...cough...whistles

• ewalewal Frets: 2642
    It really does take a particular sort of personality to invite this level of online activity in to your personal life. Well done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    ;) 
    Ahem...cough...whistles

Don't think you're escaping this thread unscathed :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    ;) 
    Ahem...cough...whistles

Haha, you mean he bought the first car (serious) recommendation on page 1 in this entire thread and that was by me?  ;)
    TimmyO said:
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    ;) 
    Ahem...cough...whistles

Haha, you mean he bought the first car (serious) recommendation on page 1 in this entire thread and that was by me?  ;)
    if you can't see why you're a close 2nd on the "red flag for being bonkers" list in this thread then there's nothing I can say that will be constructive 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Emp_Fab said:
    A masterpiece of understatement...

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24643
    An interesting discovery....   I'm buying a 2.2L Diesel Honda Civic that I have a concern about the clutch with....

https://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Slipping_clutch

This manufacturing defect affects only 2.2L Diesel Honda Civics.

OK, I didn't detect any slipping (but neither was I looking out for that) - but it's a bit of a coincidence don't you think ?

I've had an idea - the car has only ever been serviced by the local Honda Main dealer.  It's therefore a reasonable bet that if the clutch has been replaced then they would have done it - and will have a record of having done so.  I'll give them a bell / pop in there on Monday and see if they have any info.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    "Buying a car" turned out to be as misleading as all the other infinite scroll fake news apps 
    Red ones are better. 
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Is it a refundable deposit? 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Emp_Fab said:
    An interesting discovery....   I'm buying a 2.2L Diesel Honda Civic that I have a concern about the clutch with....

https://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Slipping_clutch

This manufacturing defect affects only 2.2L Diesel Honda Civics.

OK, I didn't detect any slipping (but neither was I looking out for that) - but it's a bit of a coincidence don't you think ?

I've had an idea - the car has only ever been serviced by the local Honda Main dealer.  It's therefore a reasonable bet that if the clutch has been replaced then they would have done it - and will have a record of having done so.  I'll give them a bell / pop in there on Monday and see if they have any info.
    Sorry Emp, but I couldn't help reading this in the voice of Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes.

"The Mystery of the Civic Clutch"

Quick Watson, order a Hansom cab straight to the Honda dealership, we must act quickly, there's no time to lose!