SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: 1960's/70's Columbus ES-335 style guitar finds discerning connoisseur

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    I've asked him Paul, but I think he's struggling to get a straight through flight.  ;)
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2022
    I was so surprised that this didn't sell at the time. I don't know, maybe I undersold it a little.

Anyway,  three and a half years after the original post, I've just picked this up again. It was in a cupboard at work. It hasn't improved. The guitar, not the cupboard.

I'm having a declutter of stuff, and I really don't want this.  Well, who would?  I suppose an option would be to put it in near the gate  at night to keep the cats out of the garden or put in the window to frighten the kids at Halloween.

I did mention that the pickups sounded quite sweet - that was years ago, and I haven't a clue as to whether they make a sound now. I suppose I'll have to check although I don't really want to see it or touch it again, particularly as the dust starts my allergies off again.

Hilariously, there's one advertised at £225 on eBay at the moment, described as a 'project'. It looks worse than mine does, and honestly, I wouldn't have thought that was possible.

However, I took it out of the cupboard the other day and it was more or less in tune after over three years in the closet, although I've spent sixty-two years there and I can still hold a tune.

See, it's got something going for it. I've decided not to set fire to it - the price of petrol makes it uneconomical - so I thought I'd see if anyone has lost their mind to the extent that they actually want this.

If you're of unsound mind and want to make me an offer, I promise to keep your identity secret. I might even give it a go on eBay. I know that there are some proper nutters on there. But if anyone wants it on here, that's fine. At least I'll know that there's someone on here in a worse mental state than I am.

I don't want to post it - not because I haven't got a box but because I couldn't stand the shame if the box broke and the courier found out what I'd posted. I suppose one option would be to try and fit it into a letterbox, but that would involve breaking it into pieces.  *

* No, I could do that. It's an option.

No trades (obviously!), although a straight swap for a Gibson ES-295 would be fine by me.

I can't even go on about doing a deal in seedy, discreet and secluded meeting places, as merely handing the guitar over is shame enough.

Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ha! Well, after being rightly and understandably ignored by the forum - even @HarrySeven ; didn't fancy this - it sold in a few hours on eBay, proving once and for all that there are raving nutters people of fine taste and judgement everywhere.

On reflection, perhaps I did undersell it a little on here. I had it brought in under cover of darkness (the shame, you know) and plugged it in. All works fine, and the pickups sound ace, even against a set of Lollar P90's. Gulp!

Anyway, being the honest little chap that I am, I did message the gentleman that put in an offer and described how it played, the good bits, bad bits etc, and specially picked on the action, which is currently 3mm and 3mm as opposed to my usual 2mm and 1.5mm. I'm not sure taking out neck relief would have done it either, so it's always best to mention it in advance in case he wanted to withdraw the offer.

He replied that he doesn't play - he just wants it for wall art above his jukebox. Problem solved.  =)
    Call me Dave.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28245
    :+1:

£520 was a fair price.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Maybe for ten of them Quite right @TTony ;
    Call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Its a deceptively good looking instrument...but enough about mine and DB1's last rendezvous! I imagine close up it may be akin to the proverbial beer goggles though and the horrors finally sink in. 
    Well done for playing the long game...sorry for mentioning our meet up once again DB.