Blackstar ID Core new amps - updated now with NAD celebrations!

What's Hot

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    Hmmm USB recording volume (I was using ASIO4ALL) is set on the amp. You have to have the amp set a bit too loud to get a good recording volume into Reaper. It's a shame there's no way of setting the USB audio out volume separate from the volume control on the amp's own speakers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;232629" said:
    monquixote said:

IIRC Blackstar claimed that they change the damping characteristics etc to make the power amp react to the speakers in the same way as a valve amp.

Actually having found the pics I took, there is a 5-core ribbon cable connecting the power amp to the preamp - which doesn't include the power supply connection - so it is possible.

The TVP setting does make a huge difference, that much is true.
    TVP is a shit switch in reverse. Just leave it on!

They are really nice sounding amps, the id, the core would interest me if it did silent recording but I am less desperate than I was.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Hmmm USB recording volume (I was using ASIO4ALL) is set on the amp. You have to have the amp set a bit too loud to get a good recording volume into Reaper. It's a shame there's no way of setting the USB audio out volume separate from the volume control on the amp's own speakers.
    Unfortunate if that's how it works. My mustang is often muted, playing over USB through the computer (because that way I can listen to more than just the amp in headphones).
    edited May 2014
    There may be some way around it. I'll have more of a fiddle when I've got more time. 

Of course there's always the option of using the emulated out for silent recording instead of USB.

And I did like that there were several options for USB recording:
    1, Regular stereo sound
    2, Mono dry signal + mono full sound
    3, Re-amp mode.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Can you plug a pair of headphones into it to mute the output?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997
    ICBM;232993" said:
    Yeah that's what i was going to suggest, or at least into a mixer into a monitor or something, with the computer's mix into it as well?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Yes that would work - I've got monitors and a mixer so I could use either.

• NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Played the 20 today. Very impressed. Sounded very big and bassy even though it was in a rather large room. Didn't turn it up too much but it chugged very nicely on a Strat bridge pickup and the cleans seemed to have a bit of character about them. Seriously gassy now. Pay day next week...
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 940
    Do it. I am so impressed with mine - warm clean is my favourite!
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    ICBM;232993" said:
    Yeah that's what i was going to suggest, or at least into a mixer into a monitor or something, with the computer's mix into it as well?
    Yes, though needing to do this makes the USB a bit less useful to me. (The dry channel and reamp though are things the Mustang can't do.)
    I expect this is something easily fixed in firmware - and I expect it will be if enough people moan about it. I've just suggested it to Blackstar via Twitter. Although I've got loads of amp sims, the ID20 so sounds so flipping good that I'd love to record it.

Another thing I might suggest is the ability to adjust bass, middle and treble by using the gain, volume and ISF controls while holding tap tempo down. One can already adjust those controls via the Insider software over USB.

Was jamming along to the MP3 input last night, managed to pass the wife test, she was super impressed with me noodling along to Pink Floyd's Take It Back.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1664

These came after me so I know pretty much jack.

So, the usb feed to the DAW software is POST master volume? That seems a bit odd to me but then I also know jack about digital systems! I would have thought they would have chosen some average guitar input level and translated that to a computer level of -20dBFS assuming we are running 24bits? If 16bits, around -14?

I would download the software but I suspect you need an amp as a "dongle" to run anything?

Anyway, I think I shall buy son the 20watter for Crimble. Have to see what the MOT runs out at!

Dave.

edited May 2014
    ecc83 said:

These came after me so I know pretty much jack.

So, the usb feed to the DAW software is POST master volume? That seems a bit odd to me but then I also know jack about digital systems! I would have thought they would have chosen some average guitar input level and translated that to a computer level of -20dBFS assuming we are running 24bits? If 16bits, around -14?

I would download the software but I suspect you need an amp as a "dongle" to run anything?

Anyway, I think I shall buy son the 20watter for Crimble. Have to see what the MOT runs out at!

Dave.

You can run the software without having an amp connected to the PC.

Oddly in this official video Blackstar suggests running the USB output through the PC soundcard, rather than back through the amp.

Just tried the method from the video I linked to. It's rubbish. And you still get the amp playing loud - but can mute it with a dummy plug in the headphone socket.

So until they get USB levels sorted I won't be using the ID Core via ASIO. I didn't buy it for that - so it's fine - but still a bit of an oversight not having a decent recording level independent of the amp.

I don't see what's so difficult about plugging in headphones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I don't see what's so difficult about plugging in headphones.
    Because as has already been discussed the amp level is MASSIVELY LOUD and the USB playback very quiet.

You have to have the amp too loud to get a good USB record level. And even then the playback level is much quieter than when you're playing the guitar. Adding headphones does nothing other than move the problem from the amp speakers into your headphones.

edited May 2014
    No, you don't put the headphones on!

:)

Just use them to mute the amp and monitor through the computer.

If you have a headphone splitter or size adaptor with no phones connected to it at all you could use that instead.

OK, I don't have one of these amps yet, but that was always my standard practice when recording years ago with other amps which needed to be 'on' and usually too loud in the room to produce a line level output with a decent signal-to-noise ratio.

edited May 2014
    Yes but monitoring through the computer adds another level of processing and latency. Using two ASIO devices instead of one is daft. I might as well just record through the one originally attached to the PC with a VST and forget using the amp.

I'm not sure you're reading my posts, but I did explain that I'd already tried putting a dummy cable in and monitoring through the PC. And it was rubbish.

None of my other ASIO devices work like this. For example the Zoom G3 has a USB level setting independent of the devices audio out level.

I did read your posts, but I can't see that bit…

If monitoring through the PC is rubbish because of latency, can you not set the PC music app to directly monitor the input? And if it's just that it sounds rubbish anyway, how do you monitor your mixes?

I would have thought that the point of going through the amp is because it sounds better! That's why I'm interested in one.

If I was using a Line6 UX1 I would use that to both monitor, record and playback - I could use speakers connected to it or headphones. Either way I could have my own playing, the monitored signal and the playback all at the same volume.

If I was using my Presonus Audiobox V22 I could do the same.

If I was using my POD HD 500 I could do the same.

If I was using my Zoom G3 I could do the same.

Using the Blackstar ID Core - I can't. 

Yes there are workarounds, but all the above devices get this right so one doesn't have to. And why should I have to use another device to get the best out of this one? Until the levels are sorted USB recording with the ID Core is a pain. Though one could still use the emulated output for recording - but one then misses out on the usual features of having an audio interface.

Some people might buy an ID Core amp as their only way of doing USB recording. And they'd soon discover that the difference in levels between performance, recording and playback made it a real pain in the arse.