Broken G7 Capo

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

Shubbs are awful.  Got rid of all mine on Feebay when I got my first G7th.
    I gave mine away when I got my first Kyser. I'd put up with it for years after reading a quote, I think by Jerry Donahue, saying it was 'the best by a country mile' or something like that, when I first wanted a better capo than the nail/rubber tube/elastic type I originally had. No it isn't, but I never realised there was anything less fiddly and annoying until I found a Kyser in the case of a guitar I bought.
    Have you tried the low tension Kyser @ICBM ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    brucegill said:

No. Is there one? The normal one is fine on any guitar and string gauge I've used it on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Apparently so!

Kyser Low Tension Capo, Matte Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BXYHBM9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Kph2CbHVBTA5Q

well I’ve given in after reading you always mentioning them. We shall see! 
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Oh dear, well I really like my Shubb. The adjustable pressure has been super when using jumbo frets. They do make them in different radius too if you need it but it sounds like they aren’t very popular in this thread.
    Simon_M said:
    Oh dear, well I really like my Shubb. The adjustable pressure has been super when using jumbo frets. They do make them in different radius too if you need it but it sounds like they aren’t very popular in this thread.
    I just found mine annoyingly fiddly - it needs to be readjusted when you move it up or down the neck if there's any significant taper, and was usually either slightly too tight (causing tuning trouble) or too loose (causing buzzing or dead open strings). Plus it can't easily be used with one hand.

The Kyser was a total revelation - one hand, clip it onto the neck anywhere, no adjustment, no tuning issues. Perfect.

I understand people like the G7th for similar reasons, although I still prefer the Kyser.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    brucegill said:

No. Is there one? The normal one is fine on any guitar and string gauge I've used it on.
    @ICBM OMG. Finally. A Capo that actually works!!!! Happy converted Kyser user here. Thank you!!

Anyone want a Heritage G7, let me know. And I’ve got x2 Shubbs that can go. And a G7 Nashville. Been collecting them apparently. 
    brucegill said:

Anyone want a Heritage G7, let me know.
    In the spirit of passing on good karma, send it to @Rocker :).

• RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    As no freebie capo came winging it's way from G7th, I had no choice but go out and buy one.  The G7th capo was priced at €39 in Goodwins, Capel Street, Dublin but they sold it to me for €37.  Black in colour, it feels slightly smaller than the capo that broke. I tried a Keyser but it felt more like a Vise Grips than a capo.  It was in the same ballpark price wise as the G7th.  One capo was available for well under a tenner!  It looked it too, no way would I use it on a guitar that cost well over £2K nearly twenty years ago.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FezFez Frets: 540
    Never had a problem with my Shubb, might investigate a Keyser though I am not a big capo user.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I've got a Jim Dunlop one that is basically the same mechanism as the kayser...but simpler and not as weird looking.
    I've got a Jim Dunlop one that is basically the same mechanism as the kayser...but simpler and not as weird looking.
    I find the grip position a bit awkward on those. Whether I would if I hadn't used the Kyser first, I'm not sure.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited May 2019
    It's not exactly difficult to use. Pretty solid too.
  • tralfamadantralfamadan Frets: 31
    I stopped using my G7 in favour of an old Shubb I had. I found when strumming hard in noisy pubs I couldn't adjust the G7 to be tight enough and it buzzed a lot. Less of an issue with the Shubb. I do lose the bugger all the time tho since I cant just clip it onto the headstock.