I've bought an Ibanez Echo Shifter. (EDIT - and it doesn't work properly any more)

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7752
edited May 2014 in FX
Went to Coda Music in Luton today and had a quick go... I strongly suspected I wanted to buy it, but I wanted a quick go on it just to be sure. I was sure, so I bought it (hurrah for birthday money :D)

It's great.

I have it on my big board - it'd take up way too much space on my small board. There's already a delay on the big board, an MXR Carbon Copy. That's on the left-hand side of the board, along with all my modulations, which run through the effects loop. The idea I had for the Echo Shifter was that it would run through the front of the amp - giving me two very different delay sounds on the same board. Carbon Copy for the subtle stuff, Echo Shifter for the crazy stuff. Seems to be a good plan so far.

Only had it since this afternoon, so these are just initial thoughts.

Sounds lovely - warm, clear repeats and all the controls have plenty of range - you can go to "11" and quite some way beyond. The tap tempo function is really cool to have, very useful. That being said, it's also great fun playing around with the delay time slider. 

The modulation can go VERY deep - not seasick, actually beyond that. It's like a "divebomb" sound.

The oscillation switch is a cool touch as well. This pedal can do some utterly mad sounds, but they are actually sounds I can imagine using. It's perfectly laid-out for noisemongering. And it looks ace.

For anyone unfamiliar with this pedal, here's the filtered photo (I'm such an artist lol) that I put on Instagram. Sitting pretty next to my mad Rainger fuzz (I've had a brief play with them both together... Jesus).

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Niiiice :) thinking of getting one to replace the nova repeater.  
  • vizviz Frets: 11024
    Bet it sounds amazing !
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Niiice 

I think that's high on my delay shopping list. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7339
    edited May 2014
    Yup they are great. Love my one and it is a definite 'noise scape' machine if you want it to be. 

Lots of fun to be bad with that slider and tap tempo. You can shift delay times all over the place in an instant.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    Never heard of these before. Looked them up - I am a little in love. :\">

Now, if someone wants to buy my two other delay pedals off me so I can afford one...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I might offer to sell the nova repeater instead, and put the money towards one of these.  Looks like great fun!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    Nice :D
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    That is a really cool sounding delay.  Love its looks too. 

It has a slider -- and now that I'm into my original Star Trek DVDs that slider says to me, "Beam me up Scotty."

So... we have a cool looking, great sounding, self-oscillating analog echo straight from Star Trek. 

It's only a matter of time isn't it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Make sure you set your phaser to stun
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3892
    Keen to try one. I wonder if it sounds as good as my 80s Ibz Delay Champ. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited May 2014
    OK, earlier I tried the following combination.

Jazzmaster
    into
    Rainger FX Son of Freakenstein fuzz
    into
    Ibanez ES2 with the oscillation and modulation on
    into
    My dad's new Mooer Mod Factory on the Slicer mode (basically a square-wave tremolo, speed and depth all the way up)
    into the amp.

Fucking hell, what a sound.
  • :o what's the slicer like?
    :o what's the slicer like?
    Epic.

Worth the £59 the Mod Factory costs just for that one sound :D
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'm not familiar with these either, but sure looks cool.
  • Bucket;233128" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

:o what's the slicer like?

Epic.

Worth the £59 the Mod Factory costs just for that one sound :D
    Sorted. I've been waiting for word on that one, it doesn't seem popular.

Nice to know it's pretty good fun :D
    The Echo Shifter has stopped working. I spent 110 quid on it, the least I'd expect is that it'd fucking still work after three weeks.

I plug it into a power supply and the multitude of lights flash on - so the pedal is still powering up. But whenever it is in the signal chain I get no sound from the amp whatsoever, whether the pedal is turned on or off. The guitar works fine with all the other pedals and straight through the amp, the Echo Shifter is definitely the problem. I've run out of ideas, don't know what to do with it. For all the use it is now, I may as well employ it as a paperweight. I'll have to phone Coda and hope I can get the bloody thing replaced. It was all going so well...

Isn't life just fucking brilliant.
  • vizviz Frets: 11024
    Definitely not the cable?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    The Echo Shifter has stopped working. I spent 110 quid on it, the least I'd expect is that it'd fucking still work after three weeks.

I plug it into a power supply and the multitude of lights flash on - so the pedal is still powering up. But whenever it is in the signal chain I get no sound from the amp whatsoever, whether the pedal is turned on or off. The guitar works fine with all the other pedals and straight through the amp, the Echo Shifter is definitely the problem. I've run out of ideas, don't know what to do with it. For all the use it is now, I may as well employ it as a paperweight. I'll have to phone Coda and hope I can get the bloody thing replaced. It was all going so well...

Isn't life just fucking brilliant.
    Don't sweat it. 

If it's busted they need to replace it.
    edited May 2014
    viz said:
    I've tried it with three different power supplies and about a million different cables!

@monquixote I've taken off the rubber feet and stuck velcro on it. Hopefully I can reverse the process without screwing it up, otherwise the shop might not take it back, am I right?

I discovered it was fucked at a recording session today, when I'd intended to use it and had bragged to my bandmates about how bloody good it was. We came to the conclusion it may be the input jack that is to blame. I really don't want to try and find out myself, have you seen how many wires are in the bloody thing? I think the base might be stuck on anyway, only saw the wires through the battery hatch.
    tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    viz said:
    I've tried it with three different power supplies and about a million different cables!

@monquixote I've taken off the rubber feet and stuck velcro on it. Hopefully I can reverse the process without screwing it up, otherwise the shop might not take it back, am I right?
    If it's busted and you haven't done anything that might have busted it then they need to give you your money back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom