Noise-Cancelling P-90s - changing pole piece screws

I just bought a set of Mojotone Quiet Coil P-90s (IMO traditional Single coil P 90s are lovely for clean sounds, I would like a noiseless set for overdrive).

https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/P-90Pickups_x/Mojotone-56-Quiet-Coil-P-90-Soapbar-Pickup

The nice part is that they don’t require the cavities on your guitar to be routed any deeper...

Problem is they come with nickel pole piece screws and the hardware on my Les Paul is gold.

The (5-40) screws are obviously adjustable - but since they are a noise cancelling design, I contacted Mojotone to see if I could change the pick up screws myself - and whether they are wax potted.

They informed me that they are indeed wax potted and that I would void the warranty if I did so.

Somehow it doesn’t make sense though. Would somebody knowledgeable please advise me? 

Thank you in anticipation...

https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/PickupParts_x/Humbucker-P90-5-40-Polepieces-Gold-1018-Steel

Jay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    jaymenon said:
    it doesn’t make sense though.
    Mojotone are protecting themselves against customer ham-fistedness. 

Yes, it is possible to change the polepiece screws yourself BUT it is possible to do it wrongly and inflict damage on the inside of the bobbins. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 845
    How would I do it correctly please?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    If you use the correct screws it should simply be a case of unscrewing each one and replacing it with a new one - one at a time so none of the pickup components can move. Don’t over-tighten them, the heads shouldn’t go down below the cover.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    Similarly, take care not to apply excessive force when beginning to remove each of the original pole screws.

Guard against the screwdriver slipping out of the fillister screw head slot.

Raising each original pole screw will extract some of the potting wax. This can smear on the pickup cover.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Thanks guys - so when I replace them, the new screws would not be 'waxed' right?

Are there any practical implications to this?
    jaymenon said:
    Thanks guys - so when I replace them, the new screws would not be 'waxed' right?

Are there any practical implications to this?
    Not really, since the screws are usually tight in a P90 bobbin and don’t work loose - but if you’re worried about it, touch a soldering iron to the bottom end of the screw until the wax around the thread melts. That will lock it back in place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2019
     Thanks John  and funkfingers, most grateful for your help.

I’m sorry if I sound like an idiot, but the new screws won’t have any wax on them...

Or were you referring to the wax that  remains  within the ‘Screw holes’  that will melt and cling to the replacement screws?
    jaymenon said:

Or were you referring to the wax that  remains  within the ‘Screw holes’  that will melt and cling to the replacement screws?
    Yes.