An 'ahhhh blx' moment on latest build....

What's Hot
Howdy,
Im in the process of building a short scale (22 1/2") PRS-a-like, using leftover body scraps  rippled ash and a walnut/maple/padauk laminate neck. Ziricote fingerboard.
Spent several hours today tapering the neck, cutting fret slots (ziricote is hard, by hand) and gluing fingerboard on.
I use a couple of panel pins through the fret slot to maintain alignment during glue-up. Got the clamping caul and clamps ready, checked several times the centreline alignment - spot on.
Glue up and apply clamps. Wait a few hours and remove clamps.
Ah buggerit - the panel pins had come out and the fretboard off by a few mm. Arrrgh!
I think what has happened is that the pins registered properly, but when i pushed the board down, the pins just slid through the board and stopped registering on the neck.

Anyhoo, time to get out the clothes iron and a spatula. With patience, this should be salvageable....... Or if anyone has any other suggestions, they'll be gladly received.

Thanks for listening,

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StoneWolf_MikeStoneWolf_Mike Frets: 66
    tFB Trader
    Welp..bugger. I feel your pain, had many moments like those over the years, and many to come I'm sure! 

I'm not sure if it'll work for you but I'll throw the idea out anyway, as it's worked beautifully for me for the last few years. I don't use clamps to glue FBs onto my necks anymore, I use large rubber pallet bands, snipped so it's just a big long length of thick band. Doesn't have to specifically be a pallet band, just any long length of strong rubber.

Secure the neck by clamping the headstock onto the bench, or other stable surface, then wrap the band around the FB and neck. It applies very even pressure along the board and allows you to make small adjustments if you notice it going off centre. Since doing it this way none of my boards have moved and I've never had to use locator pins.
    Mike - Owner/Luthier - Stone Wolf Guitars - Custom Built Electric Guitars in the UK

www.stonewolfguitars.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1550

Hi Mike,

Thanls for the suggestion re:clamping. It's possible I would have noticed the error had I proceeded this way. I will try it next time. Essentially, I should have tapped the pins home with a hammer rather than relying on a slight protrusion to register on the neck wood. I shall certainly try the wrapping method next time, but I wont abandon the locator pins just yet!
    One lives and learns.

Cheers,

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom