School me on bass guitar strings

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Calling @fretmeister! ; In an earlier post you recommended Thomastik T1 flats.  When I Google Thomastk T1 Flats, I get Thomastik JF344, availabel from Thomann @ €44.  Are they the 'same' strings?  You also recommended La Belle Deep Talkin Bass Flats.  La Bella flats are offered as an alternative but a note on the page states that they are not suitable for through body stringing.  My Precision has through body stringing, it was bought new and that is how it was delivered,  Is there a problem with through body stringing of flats?

A music shop in Dublin stocks Chrome flats.  For country music, which do you think would be 'best'.  I am using the supplied roundwound strings that Fender fitted on my bass.  They work OK but are hard on my fingers and sound a bit swishy...

Thanks mate.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Ti flats are the JF344 for any normal scale bass.

You might find them cheaper on Amazon and on Bax-Shop.

The normal La Bella ones don't react well to the extreme bending needed for through body - La Bella do a different set for Through Body.

You should find that your Bridge will do regular stringing (known as Topload) as well as through-body.

Personally I wouldn't use flats with through body at all. The nature of the flatwound exterior means the winding can come apart easier than on a roundwound. Flats don't like being bent a lot.

So string it normally instead - topload on the bridge only. Not through the body.

As for best....

Only your fingers know that.

Ti flats are flexible, low tension. Easy to play. Lovely mids. Long lasting.

Listen to some Pino for extensive Ti Flats use.

La Bella 760 are much stiffer, have a bigger low end. Often sound a bit wooly when first fitted - particularly the E string. Don't worry about that - they settle in after a couple of hours playing. And then last for 10 years.

Even the 760FX (the lightest version) are heavier than the Ti Flats. I use 760FX on my Jazz and 760FL (slightly heavier) on my Precision. I wouldn't go heavier than the FL if you've never used flats before.

To listen to La Bella - Duck Dunn is a good bet to listen to for the La Bella thing. He only used them for his career, although he used lighter gauges as he got older.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Thanks @Fretmeister. ; Clear and concise reply to my query.  I will probably opt for the Ti Flats toploaded. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

When you swap to flats, abandon all your EQ settings and start again.

They are very different to rounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom