The Stone Roses - Released 30 years ago today

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    I was around at the time but missed it due to being obsessed with Led Zeppelin. A mate got me into them around the time of "One Love" by us listening to all his 12" singles with their magnificent b sides. Standing Here and Mersey Paradise are as good as anything on the first album. I got a capo soon after.

I very much like Second Coming but it's not in the same league lads.

It's a great record and I stand by what pre-pandemic me said. I'll also add Where Angels Play to the b-sides list.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 269
    I’ve  been listening to Bye Bye Badman recently. A really enjoyable catchy song and then I looked up the lyrics. Just brilliant

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    As a 17 yo in Manchester at the time it captured some sort of magical moment, soon all went to shit but it was our mini version of 1967.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 997
    edited May 6
    I think the Roses are one of the great bands - 
    An enigmatic and charismatic front man, A great ,melodic, guitar player, a funky bass player and one of the great drummers who's backing vocals are one of the bands secret weapons and key to the sound of the first album. 
    I think the best bands are more than the sum of their parts and the Roses were that..... plus they talked a good game and looked the part. To an extent they did things on their own terms and there are loads of great stories and clips that help their legend. Crucially they caught the spirit of what was happening culturally at the time - these are the things that make a seminal band. 

Personally I think, on their night, you could put them up against anyone. Also on another night they could be pretty sh*t. I quite like that.....

To me there first album is magic. I am instantly transported to special places and times when I hear it. There is also a unique sense of community at Roses gigs - that I haven't seen at too many other shows. 

I really like Second Coming. Obviously its different to the fist record - what that captured and came to represent was once in a generation - there are very few bands who make more than one zeitgeist type record. But I can really enjoy tracks likes love spreads and breaking into heaven - plus Daybreak has some of THE funkiest drumming ever committed to record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EapAztdrF-8

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ALRALR Frets: 134
    I had my Roses phase back in the 90s. Now I think they made one good album, half a dozen decent b sides, and half a good album. With the exception of Mani who did some good stuff with Primal Scream, I think they’ve mostly rested on their laurels and done little of real value. A great band would have put out more music.
    mhep mhep mhep!
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 818
    ALR said:
    I had my Roses phase back in the 90s. Now I think they made one good album, half a dozen decent b sides, and half a good album. With the exception of Mani who did some good stuff with Primal Scream, I think they’ve mostly rested on their laurels and done little of real value. A great band would have put out more music.
    I don't think it really matters if you enjoy what they did produce. 

I like primal scream too! 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    Great album and I also love Second Coming, I kinda missed the boat initially as I was a bit young when they were at their peak and both them and the Mondays were on TOTP. A seminal moment in UK music history, got into them in a big way when metal lost it's sheen a bit with Nu Metal etc.. 

They take me back to being young, free, single and in love with my slightly older college lecturer who loved em too. Good times :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1995
    As a Manchester lad I had already established my love of metal and prog rock (Zeppelin, Purple, Yes, Genesis, ELP etc) and along came local Indie bands, the Madchester scene and the Hacienda and it opened a whole new musical horizon for me. For me the Stone Roses were top of the pile. Not so much The Happy Mondays and even less Oasis because they were Bertie Blue-noses. New Order were great, as were the Fall. Manchester in those years was buzzing and lots of clubs around the centre with great bands playing most nights. I still think Manchester is the musical capital of the UK. We've produced far better bands than the Beatles IMO. I can think of a few scouse bands I prefer to the Beatles. The Beatles were around at the right and the right place at a time when music was changing. They were important in the that respect but otherwise just OK but nothing special. The Monkees over the pond were similar and their early stuff was probably better. It took drugs for the Beatles to write their better songs. Both were early boy bands. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom