Mesa External Switching/FU3 footswitch

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
So, the standard Mesa footswitch cable is driving me round the bend now so I was toying with trying using the external switching jobbies from the back of the amp using the 1/4 inch jacks and a single footswitch. Anyone got any recommendations for 4/5 of these? 

OR.. 

Is there any way I can change the cable on the FU3 so I can unplug it from the footswitch end and replace with something like an XLR to .. whatever... ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39995

The external switching jacks won't give you the one-touch channel selection you have now - they're designed for a controller which can be programmed to turn off channel 2 at the same time as turning on 3 for example.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Thats fantastic! Just what I need :D
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    In my opinion, as a high-end professional piece of kit it should have been built like that in the first place! Captive cables are a menace, because if one gets damaged then the whole piece of kit is out of action.

Mesa footswitch wiring is one of their weak areas - the DIN connectors used on many of the other amps are a poor choice as well… although at least those are separate from the footswitch and can be replaced when they break.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    You're right there! the JVM footswitch is brillant in that respect as it does it all via a single guitar cable and detaches etc.