i need a new multimeter... help????

bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401

my £4.99 multimeter from amazon dosen't appear to be measuring mA, so i think its time to upgrade as i'm getting a bit more hands on with my amps. i know i should invest in a fluke but they are a bit out of budget for me at the moment. any suggestions on some cheaper reasonable quality ones. i have just seen a new fluke on ebay for £40 but it does appear very basic http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Fluke-101-Handheld-and-Easily-Carried-Digital-Multimeter-/161288099731?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item258d851793

what do you reckon clever techy folk?

The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    That's basically a nicer, newer version of my Fluke 12B, which has served me well for more than half my life. Fluke's Fluke, man. ^_^
    (That Fluke doesn't measure current either - it's a slightly more niche function.)

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401
    edited May 2014
    EdGrip said:
    (That Fluke doesn't measure current either - it's a slightly more niche function.)

there is the 15b model for 50 squid that does measure current, which would probably be quite useful for doing amp stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLUKE-15B-F15B-Auto-Range-Digital-Probe-Multimeter-Meter-/321389420921?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item4ad44d6179

The Swamp City Shakers
    If I were you, I'd save up the extra and get the 15b. You'll be sorted forever.
    edited May 2014
    i know i know i know, but its 50 quid. i was hoping to spend a tenner and get twice the performance of my  £5 skytronics meter :P
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I got a Socket & See DM240 for about £25 on eBay and it is excellent, they pop up there pretty regularly. Same as this -
    Better link with more info but silly price - 

I'm sure it's a totally cracking meter. The name makes me cringe. It makes me think of all those cans of earthily-named "Start Ya Bastard!(tm)" engine sprays and additives.
    Put me off too to be honest but it's really good.

looking closer at those cheaper range flukes, on the boxes they are marked as saying "not for sale outside of china"

thats a bit of a worry!

The Swamp City Shakers
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    edited May 2014
    I picked up an Aidetek VC97  off ebay for about £23 last year and have been very impressed with it.
    It's Fluke clone but I think it uses the same chipset as the fluke. Wide ranges and can read capaitor values too.  Definitely worth a look if you are on a budget.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    The Maplin 'Precision Gold' range is actually pretty decent and good value for money, if not in the same quality league as a Fluke.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

cheers fellas, quite like the look of that aidetek and the maplin ones. now to do some secret shopping so i don't get a slap from the mrs!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    edited May 2014

what about this for £20 ????http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/precision-gold-pg017-digital-multimeter-gw24b

just bought this so don't tell me its shit!!

The Swamp City Shakers
    That'll do the job! :-)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    That's a good one. I've got the older PG012.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    My maplin precision gold is still going strong 25 years down the line

Cheers for the vote of confidence :D
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I once ordered a £150 Fluke when I worked for a telecoms company - for my own use in the lab. Less than six months later HR called me in one morning and told me to pick up my stuff and leave before they called security (along with the other 25 people they made redundant that day). Not a day goes by that I don't regret taking that Fluke with me!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    When I got my Fluke 20 years ago it was £200 and another £120 for the calibration from RS

That one got nicked by I got another exact one to replace it which I still have 
    www.2020studios.co.uk