Clapton...

What's Hot

Comments

• tralfamadantralfamadan Frets: 31
    He's a solid guitar player. I would say Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs was his best work - and a big chunk of that was the rest of the band (and Duane obvs).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Couldn't sweep pick though. Noob. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72955
    springhead said:

Yes but it was the 70’s and he was very pissed!
    The Sessionettes were the 80s when he was sober.

I actually think some of his best music is from the 'drunk' period anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1298
    edited May 2019
    Hi @ICBM- do you know what he used on that Derek and Dominoes Fillmore gig? Just as matter of interest likes...
    Gonna try the mid boost thing with my BB preamp :)

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    He's a solid guitar player.
    Agreed... but... six pages in and no one can say why he is considered one of the greats...

solid is a good descriptor!...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1625
    ICBM said:
    springhead said:

Yes but it was the 70’s and he was very pissed!
    The Sessionettes were the 80s when he was sober.

I actually think some of his best music is from the 'drunk' period anyway...
    Didn’t get off the booze till the 90’s according to his recent  Life In 12 Bars  film.

I like the Blind Faith Hyde Park performance. Look up Can’t Find My Way Home on YouTube. Lovely playing - not just on the solo. Wonderful tone from his Strat necked Telecaster.  There’s a band that should have lasted longer. He quit which I think he now regrets.

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    edited May 2019
    Clapton is god........everyone knows that.....he was 19/20 ffs when he recorded on Bluesbreakers......

Led Zep though were shit (to me) unless you like a bloke playing a guitar with a bow and a screeching banshee ruining most songs..........*puts on hard hat and runs away*
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    poopot said:
    Agreed... but... six pages in and no one can say why he is considered one of the greats...

Lots of people have said why he's considered one of the greats, they just haven't convinced you.

What do you want, some pseudo-scientific YouTube videos and a series of guitarist-comparison stats?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Philly_Q said:
    poopot said:

Lots of people have said why he's considered one of the greats, they just haven't convinced you.

What do you want, some pseudo-scientific YouTube videos and a series of guitarist-comparison stats?

Yes ;)
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1075
    Anyone that debates his place in the pantheon of most influential guitar players is being moronic.

Personal taste is one thing, a legacy that lasts for decades is another entirely.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    steven70 said:
    Hi @ICBM- do you know what he used on that Derek and Dominoes Fillmore gig? Just as matter of interest likes...
    Assuming the amps at the side of the drum kit are his, Sunn Coliseum Lead heads and a Marshall cab. Not sure what the silver-grille cab to his side is, it looks a bit like a Fender but there's no logo and I think the corner protectors are wrong (yes I know that's at the limit of the pic resolution!). Might be a Sunn cab with the badge missing, possibly.

Yes, these are solid state amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12510
    Tone71 said:
    Clapton is god........everyone knows that.....he was 19/20 ffs when he recorded on Bluesbreakers......

Led Zep though were shit (to me) unless you like a bloke playing a guitar with a bow and a screeching banshee ruining most songs..........*puts on hard hat and runs away*
    Yep unlistenable cack.  Beatles weren't that great either while we're at it!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9972
    Tone71 said:
    Yeah I do like exactly that :) and not just from page and plant. It's apples and oranges isn't it
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    Tone71 said:
    Yeah I do like exactly that :) and not just from page and plant. It's apples and oranges isn't it
    Exactly, and Mr Page is a great guitarist... it's just not for me.

To be fair most of Clapton's work I wouldn't listen to either but Bluesbreakers is superb to my ears.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1298
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    steven70 said:
    Assuming the amps at the side of the drum kit are his, Sunn Coliseum Lead heads and a Marshall cab. Not sure what the silver-grille cab to his side is, it looks a bit like a Fender but there's no logo and I think the corner protectors are wrong (yes I know that's at the limit of the pic resolution!). Might be a Sunn cab with the badge missing, possibly.
    Thanks - those look fantastic. So they're tranny amps?!! Superb! Just goes to show I don't know a damned thing about the tone I'm chasing.. sorry prob going off topic, will leave that there.
    steven70 said:

Those look fantastic. So those tranny amps?!! Superb! Just goes to show I don't know a damned thing about the tone I'm chasing.. sorry prob going off topic, will leave that there.
    Yes, typical late-60s/early-70s transistor amps. No attempt to sound like valve amps whatsoever - they're loud, with not much gain, fuzzy and raspy. The sustain comes from driving them really hard.

If you want that sort of sound but more controllable and much easier to find, a late-70s/early-80s Peavey with the coloured knobs and the 'Saturation' control is cheap, and very reliable.

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    ICBM said:

Just a strat and a Suhr modded twin, no pedals ... grungy thick brownface fuzz

Not sure why 'no pedals' should matter, anyway - one of his best studio solos is White Room, and that uses one...

wah-t pedal would that have been?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4347
    poopot said:

Apart from all those posts saying why he is considered one of the greats. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Lots of good stuff upthread - the ‘guitarists revere guitarists too much’ comment deserves a mega wiz - spot on.
    I love some of his Yardbirds stuff on the Tele - cleanish with almost a country tinge.  Bluesbreakers - yep I like it and can see why it was so groundbreaking at the time. I prefer Peter Green though. Cream - ok but a bit bombastic. After that - no interest :)