Best Piezo bridge system?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 368
    Just realised @firepaulmusic where are you in Somerset I’m in Shepton your welcome to come and try my strat if you want
    Hi,

I'm at Martock near Yeovil. That would be cool, thanks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    @firepaulmusic have you installed the powerchip?
    No, just the bridge...
    What does it then go to? A passive volume pot, or a separate output and straight to a very-high-impedance preamp/amp input (preferably 10Mohm)?

If it's connected directly to a normal guitar pot, or to the electric guitar output, or to a low-impedance amp input of any kind it will sound thin and harsh.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    @firepaulmusic have you installed the powerchip?
    No, just the bridge...
    What does it then go to? A passive volume pot, or a separate output and straight to a very-high-impedance preamp/amp input (preferably 10Mohm)?

If it's connected directly to a normal guitar pot, or to the electric guitar output, or to a low-impedance amp input of any kind it will sound thin and harsh.
    It’s connected to the normal guitar output through a dedicated volume control. A push-pull pot switches between electric and piezo.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    firepaulmusic said:

It’s connected to the normal guitar output through a dedicated volume control. A push-pull pot switches between electric and piezo.
    That's the problem - a normal volume control is too low impedance for the pickup, even a 1M. You typically need a 10M input impedance to get the full tone from a piezo.

What you need is a Fishman Powerchip, which is a dedicated preamp with a volume control built in, and allows you to split or combine the magnetic and piezo outputs as well. You can still use a push-pull to select - although if you want to use it on the piezo volume control you'll need to modify the Powerchip since its pot is mounted on the board.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    firepaulmusic said:

That's the problem - a normal volume control is too low impedance for the pickup, even a 1M. You typically need a 10M input impedance to get the full tone from a piezo.

What you need is a Fishman Powerchip, which is a dedicated preamp with a volume control built in, and allows you to split or combine the magnetic and piezo outputs as well. You can still use a push-pull to select - although if you want to use it on the piezo volume control you'll need to modify the Powerchip since its pot is mounted on the board.
    Thanks for the heads up, sounds like the way to go.
    Decided to go the VG Strat route, snagged a beauty on EBay...