Reliced Guitars - WTF

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Ok... four guitars all showing signs of wear...

which ones Have been “aged” before their time?

1)

2)

3)

4)

Howd you bet?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746

I'm not a heavy relic fan but a light ageing that takes some of the shinyness off can be a good thing. I gig fairly regularily and guitars get a bit of a beating, with the best will in the world to protect them they end up dinged.  I they come slightly worn and dinged you don't have to worry about them as much.  That said, my main guitars have got their wear the old fashioned way.

However, to me artificially-aged guitars are the same as ripped jeans - a bit of a poseur thing. I assume with guitars the implication being that you own an antique guitar that has more mojo and cost more than shiny new guitars. I don't believe instruments have mojo, they are just good instruments or not.

I say let people wear / play what they want and judge them on their music, or, er, legs  ;)

Sometimes people just choose stuff because they like it or makes them feel good.  There's no right or wrong with these things!

• 30hertz30hertz Frets: 41
    poopot said:

1)

2)

3)

4)

Howd you bet?

2 and 3, I reckon.

I'm not some sort of drug-taking alcoholic git.
    I'm just a git.

• vonLayzonfonvonLayzonfon Frets: 108
    I made this a few years ago (the image, not the buggered Dodge)...

Frankly I prefer my guitars and my cars to age naturally and wouldn't intentionally accelerate the process but, as many have said, each to their own.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Not as easy as you might think.  ;)
    That dodge isn't quite the same thing. That's more like a broken headstock.

I'm not a heavy relic fan but a light ageing that takes some of the shinyness off can be a good thing. I gig fairly regularily and guitars get a bit of a beating, with the best will in the world to protect them they end up dinged.  I they come slightly worn and dinged you don't have to worry about them as much.  That said, my main guitars have got their wear the old fashioned way.

However, to me artificially-aged guitars are the same as ripped jeans - a bit of a poseur thing. I assume with guitars the implication being that you own an antique guitar that has more mojo and cost more than shiny new guitars. I don't believe instruments have mojo, they are just good instruments or not.

I say let people wear / play what they want and judge them on their music, or, er, legs  ;)

Sometimes people just choose stuff because they like it or makes them feel good.  There's no right or wrong with these things!

people can do what they like! Just stating my opinion as requested

I'll concede one thing: I'd rather buy a new reliced custom shop strat than most of the (presumably) genuinely old stuff you might find in a famous store run by convicted criminals. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That dodge isn't quite the same thing. That's more like a broken headstock.
    I'm assuming the damage is cosmetic, it's just been scuffed up a bit (a lot) and the car is still functional, so in that case I'd say that it's actually fairly similar.  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    poopot said:

Howd you bet?
    I think the pale blue Strat is genuine and the other three are relics. But I could be wrong...

I'll concede one thing: I'd rather buy a new reliced custom shop strat than most of the (presumably) genuinely old stuff you might find in a famous store run by convicted criminals. 
    You presume too much, sir.

Far too much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2019
    Looks to me like a clean car with a big foff ding.

A decent r job to me is more like an old car that hasn't had any major dings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Looks to me like a clean car with a big foff ding.

A decent r job to me is more like an old car that hasn't had any major dings.
    I know where you're coming from.  Maybe your automotive equivalent would be a few artificial door dings from the supermarket car park, some scuffs around the boot from careless loading/unloading, gear knob, steering wheel and pedal rubbers worn smooth and a sticky boiled sweet in the ash tray.  =)

A lot of (not all) guitar relic jobs look to me like a nice clean guitar that someone's taken the paint off rather carelessly.

Wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same thing, though? ;)
    ICBM said:
    poopot said:

Howd you bet?
    I think the pale blue Strat is genuine and the other three are relics. But I could be wrong...

You presume too much, sir.

Far too much.
    I can't say "allegedly genuine" can I?
    Seriously, I once looked into buying pricey old guitars as an investment, and concluded that I was out of my depth, and vulnerable to counterfeiters. I think reliced new top-notch guitars are a reasonable alternative for people who like to play knackered-looking guitars, but why should it just be guitars? Why not knackered looking suits, sofas, hifis, cars, mountain bikes and cameras?

When our heroes were playing these old guitars, they were shiny and new, and the magnets were at full strength, and the electrical components were still in tolerance. What are the main motivating factors for those who like relics?
    edited May 2019
    I like how they play. Quite like how they look as well (I'm talking about good ones. Some do look bad and probably aren't even nice to play).
    I had to replace a pup on my strat. I couldn't find a single middle of the type (texmex) so ended up getting a new set. They aren't aged. While I had the s-plate off I noticed a couple of screws weren't gripping well so I replaced them all with slightly larger, new, stainless screws. Not too fussy. 

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Mark1960 said:
    1: It's just another finish option. No need to rant about it. If you can scroll past the lime green guitars then you can scroll past the relics.

2: It takes a lot of hand work to do it properly. Sandberg (IMHO the most realistic) state their highest relic levels can take another week or 2 of work. that costs money.

3: Why do you let it bother you? It's like being bothered that your best mate is shagging someone you don't fancy! It's pointless.
    It doesn't bother me per say - I just don't understand the attraction, hence the request to be "educated", and I must confess I am starting to kinda see what people find appealing. I just don't feel that way myself. As somebody posted earlier - Horses for courses.
    Just re reading your opening post.

So, you want those who like them to appease you? Would you like some milk and cookies too? Slippers and a newspaper? 

Deary me my friend, if you don’t like aged things...  don’t bother with them. 
    Apologies if I upset you. It wasn't my intention. I realise from your sign on name that you have a vested interest in these guitars. My only motivation was to try and understand a phenominum that is clearly very popular.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    poopot said:

Howd you bet?

1 - is my go to strat that has been played to death and now looks like that!...

2 - is my pals genuine ‘63

3 - is one of mine and aged

4 - is a lovely Goldtop built by @Danielsguitars ;;
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    poopot said:

Ah... 3 out of 4 :). I wasn't sure about the sunburst Strat - I thought the pattern of wear was right, but that the wood looked too clean in the worn patches to be genuine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    poopot said:

Ah... 3 out of 4 :). I wasn't sure about the sunburst Strat - I thought the pattern of wear was right, but that the wood looked too clean in the worn patches to be genuine.
    It is the real thing, looked after but from ‘63... 
    does a guitar have to have knackered worn out frets to be reliced properly?