Strymon Timeline alternatives - finding it too much!!

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
Bought a Timeline a few weeks ago and I'm finding its too much for my needs - bit of an expensive commodity to use for basically a bit of delay "behind" my sound..I will never ever use the full functionality of this pedal and am looking to dumb it down a bit..

I need a maximum of 4 delay sounds - one that is always on and is part of my sound and then perhaps a few more  - a Lukather type circular delay, something with a bit of modulation and a slapback type thing..

Was tempted to go back to DL4 but am also looking at the TC X4..

Any thoughts/suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Line 6 M5 - they're going cheap. Or a TC Electronics Flashback or a rock solid Boss DD3.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28008
    The Zoom MS70CDR seems to be a great bet, as long as you don't mind a bit of menu navigation. As a bonus, it's got a bunch of Strymon and Eventide models in it, which get great reviews (as well as the frankly awesome particle reverbs).
    <space for hire>
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    It's not just the functionality - it's the quality of the sound.  The Strymon just sounds better than my old Nova Delay or the delays in my M5.

If you don't want the complexity it might still be worth looking at something like the El Capistan or Brigadier.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28008
    crunchman said:
    It's not just the functionality - it's the quality of the sound.  The Strymon just sounds better than my old Nova Delay or the delays in my M5.

If you don't want the complexity it might still be worth looking at something like the El Capistan or Brigadier.
    According to Drew, the MS70CDR is almost indistinguishable from the Strymon/Eventide pedals it models in a live context.
    <space for hire>
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3306
    I really preferred the Flashback X4 over the DL4. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    I agree with you Welshboyo as I've recently bought a TImeline myself. And yes I too probably use about 4 delays on average but I really believe one can really grow into the Timeline for the future. I feel, I would never need another delay pedal as the Timeline really does have it all. Also it is MIDI enabled which is a very handy feature to have especially if, like me, you get a MIDI controller to control other MIDI enabled pedals (mobius). I suppose it all depends on what you want to use it for. MIDI will certainly reduce my tap dancing and I don't use many pedals.

Just a thought :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    edited May 2014

If you like the strymon sound, you could try an 'el'capistan' tape delay simulation or the bucket brigade simulation called the 'brigadier' .

Edit, I'd be tempted to keep the time line though.

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    What about an Eventide Time factor? You'd be able to pick a 2nd hand one up for less than half the price of the Timeline. May ease the guilt a bit without compromising on sound quality and functionality too much.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    crunchman said:

According to Drew, the MS70CDR is almost indistinguishable from the Strymon/Eventide pedals it models in a live context.
    I've not played the Zoom.

Against the two I mentioned I'd take the Strymon sound any day. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7411
    DD20 is remarkably useful if also remarkably unremarkable. Saving bpm exact presets tremendously useful. And it's bombproof, obviously.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    edited May 2014
    Tis OK.

I think the slight blip I had has passed, the issue is with the available documentation and sample libraries..it's basically piss poor IMO and I really can't be arsed/bothered to download a 3rd party software to look at other user's settings.

Found a few pointers on the web and I've already managed to set up something that I didn't think was possible in the format I wanted..a basic dual delay...

Poor show from Strymon with the available literature on this powerful pedal..

So I was wrong to say that the pedal is too much for what I need, it's more a case that there isn't enough stuff out there to help you manipulate the pedal into what you want it to do..
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    What about the H9? Been through the same cycle with timeline mobius and settled with the h9 as it covers my modulation + delays (still keep a capistan as my always on delay). The iPad app is really helpful.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    edited May 2014
    The Zoom MS-70CDR is a great unit. I can't say what it's like compared to the more expensive units as I've never tried those, but it's great and covers a lot of ground. The quality and variety of regular and weird/experimental sounds is superb, even at £89!
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    Think I'm going to have to check out the Zoom, you guys are really selling it well here!
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I plugged in my g3 to my laptop and my amp and was fixing up the presets with the zoom software. Excellent stuff. The experience was painless and effective.

Could Google settings at the same time so it was very efficient.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I've been using the Flashback X4 for a couple of years and really like it. Great sounds and flexibility, it's easy to use and has a decent looper thrown in.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    Big though. That was one of the reasons why I went for the Timeline :)
    Gagaryn;236184" said:
    I've been using the Flashback X4 for a couple of years and really like it. Great sounds and flexibility, it's easy to use and has a decent looper thrown in.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10086
    I'm on my 3rd Timeline (go figure...), and I've tried most of the well known delays out there...

Recently, I had a mad spree and spent a lot buying up some delays.

The result ? The Timeline could actually duplicate/replicate all of the well known ones, and in most cases better.
    The problem is for me, is that the TL is not always that intuitive.

But, know I've committed myself to learning it properly.

I use the Timeline, along with the excellent Sub Decay Anamnesis.

By the way, I thought that the H9 was very average. As ever, YMMV...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31576
    I love my timeline but I've ordered another Cornish TES as I just can't quite get the delay quality with the TL.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.