Fender 1.650" v 1.685" nut width

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3958
More traditional Fenders seem to have 1.650" nut width, whereas the more modern ones have 1.685". Despite my brain telling me otherwise, I swear I can feel a difference, to the point where I might go for 1.685" on an upcoming build. My question is are they interchangeable, or does 1.685" require a bigger neck pocket and mess with the pickup pole pieces, bridge etc. I assume they're interchangeable and I could just bolt a 1.685" neck onto an existing body, but just wanted to check. Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Heel/ neck pocket the same.

I used to be concerned about the 42mm vs 42.8mm thing but have since realised it’s more about string spacing. Some of the “modern” nut width Fenders seem to have the same or even tighter string spacing at the nut than some vintage spec ones. I now have a CS strat at 42mm/1.65 and it’s perfect, even with large hands.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3958
    Thanks, @TINMAN82 . No more comments from anyone?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72954
    That sort of difference does look small on paper, but you can easily feel it. The same is true of similarly small differences in depth and profile.

As Tinman82 said, the difference is only at the nut end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14725
    ICBM said:
    That sort of difference does look small on paper but you can easily feel it.
    I find the tighter fingerboard width annoying on, say, an entry level Yamaha Pacifica but manage to forgive it on my elderly Gibson Melody Maker.

ICBM said:
    The same is true of similarly small differences in depth and profile.
    This is why HarrySeven relinquished the Fender AVRI '65 Jazzmaster that is now mine, all mine. He found the neck profile too chunky. I find it spot on. Yes, the neck relief is a little excessive. A slight tightening of the truss rod will cure that. Once a Staytrem replacement bridge is installed, it should be possible to adjust the bridge a smidgeon lower too. Harry's loss is my gain.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.