Fuzz factory clone advice

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    So, if i test it unhoused and touch the stab knob across the wire contacts it works fine
    Do you mean touching the battery lead to the lug on the Stab pot? Or something else?
    should i solder a wire directly from the stab knob to earth?
    The  wire that goes to the Stap pot (lugs 2 & 3) should be the battery positive, not the earth....??

Photos would be good  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 404
    edited May 2014
    Cheers guys - will get some photos up shortly - i have made progress - as suggested i checked each pot and theres a possibilty that one was shorting against the case so i've covered all solder points on the pots with insulating tape so they cant contact the case.
    Now, with it all housed and the input/output cables connected,as soon as i put the battery in for a few seconds the unit works great but then the distortion seems to settle at one level (rather tame) with the pots not really interacting much with each other (although for a few seconds
    its great).
    Any ideas?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    Have you tried a new battery? You could have killed it if something was shorting before.

If yes, still try undoing each component until you find which one (or combination) is causing it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cheers icbm,
    Have popped another battery in and got my others on charge now and it does sound better just like a normal fuzz but not fuzz factory.
    Well seems to be no probs earthing but the vol, gate and comp pots dont appear to do much whereas theres a noticable difference tweaking the other two.
  • Thinking of adding an led to this build - would a 4m7 resistor before the led be ok to use?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    Thinking of adding an led to this build - would a 4m7 resistor before the led be ok to use?
    Not if you want the LED to light up :).

Try 4K7 ;).

Although even that might be a bit high - it depends on the LED.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 404
    edited May 2014
    Ahh cheers icbm - i thought it was 4 summat 7!
    Have a wisdom!
    :)
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    The layouts / diagrams that I have seen show this resistor at either 4k7 or 2k2.