Shim for an Ibanez Edge (Floyd Rose type) bridge saddle in the UK?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
edited June 2019 in Guitar
I need to raise the low E string just a smidge on the bridge of my Ibanez JS1200 and this would require a saddle shim. Had a quick Google and can only find sets in the US. Anyone know who has them in the UK. I only need one or two.

Or maybe I can cut up a beer can?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4212
    Go to a good craft shop and buy some sheet brass. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    sweepy said:
    Go to a good craft shop and buy some sheet brass. 
    Good idea.

However, it turned out that I already had a copious supply of sheet aluminium courtesy of Mr. Carlsberg. Works a treat. :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I use the hole end of feeler gauges cut down with a Dremel disc. If you have a vernier caliper you can select the correct thickness to match the saddle heights to the fretboard radius.
    mbe said:
    I use the hole end of feeler gauges cut down with a Dremel disc. If you have a vernier caliper you can select the correct thickness to match the saddle heights to the fretboard radius.
    Good idea.

The saddle heights are matched pretty much OK to the fretboard radius except for the low E string saddle which was just a tad too low. Sorted now.
    It's like that part in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" where Pirsig offers to tighten his mate's handlebars with a shim cut from a beer can but his mate is horrified by having a bit of old beer can on his BMW.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    I'm not even sure how thick a beer can shim is. I used three pieces and it seems to have raised the saddle by about just less than half a millimetre.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3013
    Philtre said:
    It's like that part in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" where Pirsig offers to tighten his mate's handlebars with a shim cut from a beer can but his mate is horrified by having a bit of old beer can on his BMW.

It’s funny, that and the piece about the definition of quality are the only two bits of that book that I remember 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I’ve used cut up coke cans in the past. With a bit of careful cutting you can get them to match the shape of the saddle precisely, making them almost invisible.
    edited June 2019
    Maynehead said:
    I’ve used cut up coke cans in the past. With a bit of careful cutting you can get them to match the shape of the saddle precisely, making them almost invisible.
    Yes. I cut a long thin rectangle out of the can, folded it into three and made a hole in it for where the allen bolt goes through. You can't see it.

Top tip if you try this at home, folks - always drink the beer in the can first!
    DrBob said:
    Philtre said:

It’s funny, that and the piece about the definition of quality are the only two bits of that book that I remember 
    That and the actual riding of motorcycles across America. Some of the deeper philosophical parts were not so easy.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72954
    Philtre said:

However, it turned out that I already had a copious supply of sheet aluminium courtesy of Mr. Carlsberg.
    Probably the best Floyd Rose saddle shims in the world...

Philtre said:

Top tip if you try this at home, folks - always drink the beer in the can at least several hours first!
    FTFY

I have a scar on my hand from not following that advice ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom