MJT bodies??

What's Hot
flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
Been looking at putting a quality partscaster together, and been looking at MJT bodies.... Are they that good?  Prices seem to suggest they are?? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    edited June 2019
    I got a JM from them (neck & body and a tiny bit of hardware). It's really nice; not too heavy, very thing finish and great colour.

FWIW I went for the lightest relic - basically just a little bit of checking. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Have a word with @GoldenEraGuitars ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8828
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @poopot .

The good thing in getting something from me @flyingv is that my stuff won’t cost you more on your doorstep when the postie delivers it ;)

#shoplocal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5222
    I bought a MJT Strat body off here and it’s a very good one - two-piece centre-joined light ash, good ageing and super lightweight, which is what I wanted. Cost me about £200 from memory. So they are around, if you’re patient, and if you can find a used one in this country it’ll cost you a lot less than buying new. Good luck. 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10169
    They're good and if you're dealing with MJT directly, you can be pretty specific about what you want. I was able to specify how many pieces, type of grain, weight etc. Doesn't guarantee a great guitar, but it helps
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 225
    Just use @GoldenEraGuitars high quality and cheap at twice the price
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I had a couple... Funny thing is the last one I had wasn't the same depth as my fender strat one.. not sure if they use that to argue their bodies are light or it was just mine
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2671
    They are rather tasty tho...

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    Mine's a one piece ash from about 9 years ago. Very lovely but from what I've seen @GoldenEraGuitars can do at least as well - plus you'll save a load in shipping and duty. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I bought a one piece swamp ash body off them to do a Jeff beck tribute esquire. It was a pleasure to deal with Mark and his Mum! Photo's galore were sent to me of options I could have. It was the loudest most resonant Tele body I ever had.  
    tFB Trader
    Thank you for the recommendations :)
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Thanks everyone for’ as always excellent advice, I’ve a lot of food for thought now for sure? 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 703
    I bought a heavily reliced Tele body from them and it’s awesome. Really lovely wear and relic work and nice cracking. I believe it was the first Tele body they had done with belly and forearm contours, at my request. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1164
    Does anyone know if  MJTs hold their value well when sold on?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    Does anyone know if  MJTs hold their value well when sold on?
    Better than a random partscaster, but still not as well as a Fender, and most likely better parted out and sold as separate bits. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    Never seen a fender body sell for more than £150 tbh. 

As with anything, it’s only worth what someone will pay. It seems like a bigger bargain buying an MJT body used because you’re saving on the shipping and duty. Incidentally, someone paid £250 for a body of mine the other day. It was completed 6 weeks ago, the original customer who commissioned it paid about £300. In that case, I assume someone didn’t want to wait for a new body. So, I suppose with the nitro side of things you’re always going to have to wait for the stuff to dry.