A boring "what amp " thread.

What's Hot
sellisnbasellisnba Frets: 7
Hi all
First post in a long time. 
I'm currently using a Vox pathfinder 10 amp for home use, but recently have been finding myself wanting a bit more. I have a choice at the moment. I can keep my amp and run a Fender mustang floor through it or get a Blackstar id 20. They will both be around the same price (mustang floor is used). Which would you choose and why?
Can anyone recommend any other amps that might be worth looking at? My max budget is £150.
Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited May 2014
    Keep your eye out for a 60s/70s british valve amp and throw pedals at it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1292
    For quiet home playing I reckon the biggest factor is stereo capability - it's just a far more satisfying, immersive experience at home-friendly volume levels.

So, assuming you're referring to the Blackstar ID:Core 20, I'd go for that over the Mustang floor into the Vox's little 6½" speaker in mono.

But... if you've got a hifi you can plug into, the Mustang plugged into that would probably sound great, though less portable than the Blackstar should you want to play in different parts of the house.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The mustang floor is a great unit and I highly recommend it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Within your budget - Vox VT20+ - £135

Just above your budget - Vox AC4 C1 - £228

I own the AC4 C1 and it's got the 'Top Boost' circuit in it - with a boosty-overdrive in front of it it's amazing. Future mods will include premium valves and the best speaker I can afford but even straight out of the box it's a damn good amp for the money. Looks gorgeous in our living room too.

The VT20+ is a great choice for all it's built in effects and amp sims and sounds really good in my opinion.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    I would look on ebay for a Fender Deluxe 112 

Should be had for about £80
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    You'll get a different answer for every post as there are just so many options. I think of your two suggestions the Blackstar I'd:20 is a very good shout. The mustang floor won't sound great into your pathfinder IMO.

The only other thing I would suggest is to make sure you like the feel and sound of digital amps, as they sound immediately very impressive but do have a different overall feel about them, so would also try something like Orange Crush Pix which mixes a more traditional solid state amp with some digital effects (if you choose the right model).

Valve amp wise, for your budget, you will only get a very basic single sound amp that will need cracking and judging by your post you want more features, not less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I was going to say, is this amp going to be used just in the home or do you intend to play live with it? Or jam with a drummer etc? And what sort of sounds are you shooting for in your head? :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    S/H Line 6 Spider for knocking around the house , you can't really go wrong
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Having owned a Mustang I'd say only buy one if you a predominantly into clean sounds. The drive sounds were a bit poo. 

I suspect the Blackstar will be better at drive than cleans. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32391
    These make fantastic home amps, you can even gig with it if you mic it up.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-champion-40/87471?gclid=CPvcltPRpb4CFQblwgodMBwAGQ
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I have a blackstar ID60 head that I use at home and I absolutely love it. Perfect for my needs, lots of different sounds, built in effects, sounds good at low volumes and I can plug into my laptop with a USB cable to record.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I once tried running a POD2 into the hi-fi, thinking that some volume and full-range speakers would be great. I did not get on with it at all. It was like listening to a guitar record that I was in control of. 

IF I were where you are knowing what I know now, I would keep an eye on here, and on Gumtree, get myself a proper amp of some kind (Peavey Bandit, or something like that) and start picking up pedals. Nothing sounds or feels like real transistors having a genuinely bad day. 

Of the options you're considering, I suspect you'd get more mileage out of the Blackstar (or its Line6 brother, but shhh) since the Mustang will still be throttled by the Vox. On the other hand, you can always upgrade the Vox soon to the aforementioned Proper Amp, and then you'll have the Mustang which you can use as a multi-FX pedal at that stage. #confusingtheissuesorry 
  • dano91dano91 Frets: 24
    I second the Orange PIX suggestion:

A more traditional sounding digital amp that has lots of built in effects and is within budget. At 20w its loud enough to jam along with friends too.

Let us know how you get on!
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

I noticed you mentioned the Mustang Floor.... I run one into the fx loop of my Egnater Tweaker, and I think it sounds excellent.

This gives my the option of pedals into the front of the amp, or using the modelling of the Mustang straight into the power section.

• sellisnbasellisnba Frets: 7
    Thanks to everyone that replied, I had the chance to test the two options that i mentioned. The mustang floor was a nice pedal setup but as people have said it was let down by the tiny speaker in my PF10. The blackstar id core was a nice amp with a lot of features but it didn't really do anything for me the same goes for the yamaha thr5 i tried. 
    Before i get flamed i'm sure that the two amps i mentioned work for the people who have them, i'm not saying they are bad amps.
    I'm due to do the rounds of visiting relatives in a few weeks which will give me a chance to try a few of the amps recommended above. I'm looking forward to trying the orange series of amps.
    Cheers. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    Fender Superchamp XD    within your budget second hand, very happy with mine, lots of good models, the High Gain ones as usual are turd but i don't like them anyway.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    2nd Hand Peavey Royal 8 and Boss ME50. Simples