Laney World Series 120 head - can it run a 16 ohm cab?

guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
Does anyone know anything about this amp?  A guy has been messaging me on ebay wanting to know if it will work with the Laney cab I'm selling (which is 16 ohms mono at 240 watts).  He says his amp is 200 watts at 4 ohms, unless I'm sucking at google I can't find much about the amp.  I don't want to sell him something that won't work, but neither of us seem to know a definitive answer.

It looks like it might be an SS amp, does that just mean it will work (but be less efficient at 16 ohms) and I presume he needs to use normal speaker cable?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Yes, it will work fine. Typically you will get about 30-35% of the 4-ohm rated power into 16 ohms depending on exactly how well-regulated the power supply is, so it will be a bit quieter - although still pretty loud, actually.

He could rewire your cab to 4 ohms if he needs the full power output though, it will still be safe with the amp - which if I remember rightly is 120W, not 200... that's possibly the peak power, I can't remember exactly. Laney were a bit cheeky with exaggerating the power of their solid state amps around that time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    Thanks!