NAD Cornford MK50 II (now with pics, and question!)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited May 2014
    Cornford always pushed the Vintage30 thing hard, which is fine if you like Vintage30s. 
    I suspect that Cornford ownership + speaker experimentation would be a very rewarding journey.

EDIT: Just saw the post above about struggling with EQ - if you're using a V30'd-up Cornford cab, begin the experiments! :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    just came back from my mates who has cornford 2x12 and a mark v. i prefer my zilla slightly i think. as a result, he also wants a zilla now to go with his mesa haha. the cornford is brighter and has less focus than my zilla. id be happy with either but i dont think its worth me getting a cornford 2x12, even though it does suit the head more. the zilla works better with other amps too so i dont think i should change just because the cornfored 2x12 is what should be paired with the mk50
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    If you're into EL34 amps....
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    I've had one in the past and experienced the same thing. I swapped out to EL34's and it definitely sounded better (to my ears anyway). 

I didn't find it the easiest amp in the world to dial in (I guess I just wasn't that sold on the overall voicing of the amp so probably fighting a loosing battle in that respect) but I found with an MXR EQ pedal in the loop I could dial in some awesome tones with it. 
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    fastboy said:
    I've had one in the past and experienced the same thing. I swapped out to EL34's and it definitely sounded better (to my ears anyway). 

I didn't find it the easiest amp in the world to dial in (I guess I just wasn't that sold on the overall voicing of the amp so probably fighting a loosing battle in that respect) but I found with an MXR EQ pedal in the loop I could dial in some awesome tones with it. 
    Out of interest, were you using it with a Vintage 30-loaded cab?
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    @firks91

You still got the Mk50 or did you flip it?

• BGGBGG Frets: 703
    My MK50 was the best sounding amp I've ever gigged, never played a MK50ii.
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @firks91

Nah, i moved it on a few months after i bought it. its was a great amp, i found the overdrive boost to be too fizzy for me and at the time, i was only using amp distortion, no pedals. 
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    edited April 2016
    firks91;1031974" said:
    johnonguitar said:

@firks91

Nah, i moved it on a few months after i bought it. its was a great amp, i found the overdrive boost to be too fizzy for me and at the time, i was only using amp distortion, no pedals. 
    Yeah thought you might have. FWIW if you ever try one again keep the channel volume down really low and the master at 1. It doesn't really start working before then! That's where the magic starts to happen

Gain at 2 o'clock and overdrive boost at 10 o'clock
    yeah thats almost exactly how i used to run it. gotta get the power section awake to get its true tone to come out. I'd have probably kept it if i'd have liked the OD boost more. e34l's made the 2nd channel (w/o od boost ) reeaally nice to me.