1x12 cab wide enough for a smallbox plexi?

MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
edited May 2014 in Amps
Can anyone recommend one? I have speakers so not fussed if it's unloaded.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    I got the Blackstar one.  It was about £179 loaded with a 50w speaker brand new.

Wide enough for a 100w Mesa head, so should do for the Plexi easily.
  • MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
    Cool, what's the model number? Anyone else?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    edited May 2014
    Cacofonix said:
    Wide enough for a 100w Mesa head, so should do for the Plexi easily.
    Not necessarily. A small box Marshall is slightly wider than a Dual Rectifier, by about 10mm I think. Enough to make it look a bit odd when the head is wider than the cab, if that sort of thing bothers you.

You need a cab with a minimum width of 660mm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Zilla mini modern - great 'big' sounding 1x12
    Seemed like a good idea.....

A marshall smallbox is 660mm. The mini modern is 620. :(
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited May 2014
    Oops - sorry didn't realise - thought the small box was similar width to Ceria OTS which fits comfortably..
    Seemed like a good idea.....

Model is HTV-112.

Spec.
    1x12"Celestion speaker, 80 watt, 16 ohm, open back design, dimensions: 617 x 564 x 295mm, weight: 18,0 kg

@ICBM Noted on the Plexi size.  So how big is the large box plexi?
    Cacofonix said:
    760mm I think - 30". Same width as a full-size 4x12".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Cacofonix said:
    760mm I think - 30". Same width as a full-size 4x12".
    Jeepers!  That's massive! I had forgotten that my JMP100 must have been that size.  I only remember how lopsided it was when carrying it.
    @Monstronaut - why not just get a 2x12", since 1x12"s big enough seem to be hard to find? They sound better and give you the option of lower-rated speakers (eg G12M-25s), and there's not that much weight difference between a 1x12" with a heavy speaker and a 2x12" with lighter ones.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    edited May 2014
    ^ Even with 2x12s it might be worth checking sizes, just in case. I'm guessing most of the bigger, or even average-sized, ones would probably be ok, but the smaller ones might not. I looked up the roadkill badger (which is available in either 1x12 or 2x12 versions, same sized box), thinking it might be big enough, and it wasn't. :)) Admittedly it's very compact for a 2x12, but yeah. I'd err on the side of caution, just in case.

But yeah I agree on gettting a 2x12 if it has to be that big. Obviously a second speaker will make it a bit heavier, but if you were thinking of one speaker with a heavy magnet versus two with medium magnets, maybe not all that much difference. Especially if you can find a 2x12 which is just big enough to hold the Marshall head. My badger (which is slightly too small, as I said) is pretty light for a 2x12. Not that much heavier than even my quite-a-bit-smaller 1x12 cabs. Not featherlight, though, it must be said (admittedly I'm a wuss)- but lighter than you'd expect a 2x12 to be.
    I've got a 2x12, I'm just sick of lugging it around. The band I'd be using the 1x12 with, everything is mic-ed up so I'm not fussed on the spread. I tend to get enough in the monitors to not worry about that.
    edited May 2014
    But the point is that a 1x12" the size you need is going to be very nearly as heavy as a 2x12". Most of the weight is the box, not the speakers. It's going to massively increase your options to look at 2x12"s.

^ Yeah.
    Ok, so a lightweight cab then. Pine?
    That would probably help, actually. Good idea, as long as it still sounds the way you want (don't have much experience with solid wood cabs).
    They can sound slightly odd for heavier or more modern rock tones - better for clean to country/blues/classic rock gain levels I think.

There's not much in it weight-wise compared to thin ply - pine is lighter, but you can't get it as thin. 1/2" ply is probably as light as 3/4" pine. You just want to avoid thicker ply or particle-board.

Surprisingly enough some MDF cabs can be light if the material is thin, even though it's also denser than wood. Marshall used to do a 2x12" in the JTM60 series which is pretty light and I think is wide enough for a small-box Plexi, although I'd need to check. They're not expensive, although they get tatty quickly and the stock speakers are poor.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    I had a Cornell plexi 2x12....very light. Very wrong for rock though :) I'd be going for ply I think.
    ICBM said:
    They can sound slightly odd for heavier or more modern rock tones - better for clean to country/blues/classic rock gain levels I think.
    Yeah I suspect that might be true- based on my very limited trying out of pine for cabs. Seemed a bit woodier/more resonant in tone. Sounded pretty decent with the Cornfords I tried, which are pretty high gain, but still a fairly smooth/woody type of tone considering they're pretty high gain.

I'd probably err on the side of ply too unless I was sure I knew I liked pine.
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    +1 to what ICBM said about the JTM cab, I use my small box plexi with one of those cabs. Both are pretty much the same width, and don't take up much more floor space than my Laney VC30 1x12 combo, they are more compact than the standard Marshall (1936?) 2x12 though. Think it's made of chipboard rather than MDF though, so very light and easily carried.