Any Golfers on the forum?

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul31Paul31 Frets: 22
    I play golf as well just for fun around twice each week sometimes ok and othertimes bad, i have just started using a different swing and seems alot better so far so will keep at it for a while. I also started playing snooker just over 5 mths ago although it is hard i dont think it is as hard as golf i play that a few times a week as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637
    Had the custom fit this morning, best of intentions not to make a purchase...........

Walked out having ordered a set of JPX 919 hot metal, felt superb. 15 day wait now until I can smash the course up with them!

joneve said:
    Tone71 said:
    Im Epsom in Surrey, the reason for AG is that it's local, they have a varied choice and it's free! I appreciate it may not be top end for a fit but thought that it is a good chance to hit balls with different clubs an utilise the swing speed and ball attack stats. Otherwise I'll be buying blind again which I really, really don't want to do.

As said before I was offered a custom fit at Callaway but really want to try a few different clubs before deciding, I'm aiming to get a set that will last a few years so want to be open minded and not brand swayed.

Is AG that bad? I thought the general consensus on GM forum was they are ok?
    I think it’s a bit hit and miss on the one you get. The one in Cheltenham, for instance, is absolute bobbins. But if you have one with a decent ‘pro’ and analysis tools, it’s probably fine. Plus you’ll get to try a variety of clubs. And most likely better than buying them blind. 

You’ll want the JPX’s though ;). Remember, nothing feels like a Mizuno :) 

You're right, felt the best to me by a long shot.
  • @Tone71 you gone for the wedges too?

I've been looking at the Cleveland HB Launcher hybrid irons set, on paper they are for me but I am not buying blind and nowhere to try.. :(
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    edited August 2019
    You guys are giving me some serious golf GAS here... 

I love me some JPXs

Btw - nice effort there today @strumjoughlamps ;
    @Tone71 you gone for the wedges too?

I've been looking at the Cleveland HB Launcher hybrid irons set, on paper they are for me but I am not buying blind and nowhere to try.. :(

I've gone for 5-SW, always use my rusty Cleveland 60degree for flops shots etc Diver is RBZ as is the 3 wood, just a hybrid to look at now :)
  • Tone71 said:
    @Tone71 you gone for the wedges too?

I've gone for 5-SW, always use my rusty Cleveland 60degree for flops shots etc Diver is RBZ as is the 3 wood, just a hybrid to look at now :)
    Yeah I have a Nike rusty 60, I love the raw finish my SW is a rusty too.. 

I have the TM RBZ 3 wood(set to 16°)and 4 hybrid, my 5 Hybrid is TM R7 Cgb and its my most used club that very rarely fails me. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Tone71 said:
    Had the custom fit this morning, best of intentions not to make a purchase...........

Walked out having ordered a set of JPX 919 hot metal, felt superb. 15 day wait now until I can smash the course up with them!

joneve said:
    Tone71 said:
    Im Epsom in Surrey, the reason for AG is that it's local, they have a varied choice and it's free! I appreciate it may not be top end for a fit but thought that it is a good chance to hit balls with different clubs an utilise the swing speed and ball attack stats. Otherwise I'll be buying blind again which I really, really don't want to do.

As said before I was offered a custom fit at Callaway but really want to try a few different clubs before deciding, I'm aiming to get a set that will last a few years so want to be open minded and not brand swayed.

Is AG that bad? I thought the general consensus on GM forum was they are ok?
    I think it’s a bit hit and miss on the one you get. The one in Cheltenham, for instance, is absolute bobbins. But if you have one with a decent ‘pro’ and analysis tools, it’s probably fine. Plus you’ll get to try a variety of clubs. And most likely better than buying them blind. 

You’ll want the JPX’s though ;). Remember, nothing feels like a Mizuno :) 

You're right, felt the best to me by a long shot.
    Told you :)

the forged range feel even better still, for when you next upgrade ;)

• With my downward spiralling right hand my first phase of moving to graphite shaft irons arrived today. Srixon Z355 9 and P with beautiful Myazaki Jinsoku 72g R flex shafts, then I am hoping to pick up a Cleveland HB Launcher 7 iron with same shaft for not stupid money, I will stick with my Nike 60° rusty for now.

I'm playing tomorrow so will see how the graphite shafts help on a full round. After testing graphite vs steel on Monday though I would predict them making the round more enjoyable. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well what a week spent a bit if time feeling down but I've come out the other side..

So after a successful test with the Srixon 9 and P I got to try the 6 7 8,  nope no joy whatsoever so I was handed Taylormade M4, 6 7 8 and was blinding with the 7 and 8 not so much the 6 so was handed a 9 and P and nope nowhere near as comfortable as the Srixon. The I try the Cleveland HB Launcher and loved the 5 and 6 but nothing else..

So I looks like my bag will end up a mixed affair. 

Current Taylormade woods and hybrids I am fine with. 

6 Cleveland HB Launcher

7 and 8 Taylormade M4

9 and P Srixon z355

Stick with my current S and 60° for now

Old Tom Putter. 

What a blooming hodge podge of a bag but gotta go with what works.. Bag looks nowhere near as nice without set of Nike Pro Combo Forged :(
  • Enjoyable morning round with the Wife and eldest Son. Showed some restraint not trying to match my son for distance, so what if it took me 2 shots to get where he drove to, much better attitude. And graphite shafts on the irons really helping my hand.

Why are you carrying your bag on your front? Is that not super awkward and painful for your back? 
  • joneve said:
    Why are you carrying your bag on your front? Is that not super awkward and painful for your back? 
    No matey not awkward at all sits just as well on the front as it does the back,  works well for me and only 8 clubs in bag. It's a pretty light set up. 
    joneve said:
    No matey not awkward at all sits just as well on the front as it does the back,  works well for me and only 8 clubs in bag. It's a pretty light set up. 
    I literally cannot get my head round it :D 

fair enough if it works though! I have so much crap in my bag my back would be more bollocksed than it is now if I tried to carry on the front. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    Enjoyable morning round with the Wife and eldest Son. Showed some restraint not trying to match my son for distance, so what if it took me 2 shots to get where he drove to, much better attitude. And graphite shafts on the irons really helping my hand.

I think it's cool you do it with your family - most of the folk I hear talk about golf see it as a way to get away from their family which always strikes me as sad 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3519
    edited August 2019
    TimmyO said:
    Enjoyable morning round with the Wife and eldest Son. Showed some restraint not trying to match my son for distance, so what if it took me 2 shots to get where he drove to, much better attitude. And graphite shafts on the irons really helping my hand.

I think it's cool you do it with your family - most of the folk I hear talk about golf see it as a way to get away from their family which always strikes me as sad 
    well TBH that was initially my reason to take it up, then a few weeks after my eldest fancied taking it up, a few weeks after that the wife got into it, now even my 8 yo plays and my daughter comes toptracer sometimes and smacks a few..

I must say I thoroughly enjoy us all being into it and some afternoons after work I still take myself off or go with a mate so I sort of have the best of both.

• Trio of hybrids complete, damn they is pretty

I picked the Mizuno's up last night, used them today and shot 2 over my normal game.......cannot wait to get used to them......superb clubs and sound a lot different from my Wilsons.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8092
    Anyone used the paid-for video stuff on Golf Digest? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2494
    These recent golf threads have inspired me to get back into it. I think a lot of people don't understand how good a game it is until they've actually hit a ball. That and being in the middle of nowhere forgetting everything. So, so satisfying.
    I'm looking forward to the first Fretboard 4 ball!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom