P Bass Intonation

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
I've just intonated a P Bass after tweaking truss rod and I get this -

I've never come across a D string that needed to be longer than the E. Am I doing something wrong, could it be a faulty string or is it usual and it's just I've never come across it before?

I've double checked the tunings using a couple of different tuners, including iStrobe, Snark and a Boss TU80 that I usually use for fine tuning. They all agree (though Snark is v poor for this task).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    Is the D string single-wound over a very thick core? That would intonate like that... the intonation is determined mostly by the core thickness not the overall string gauge, so changes in the number of wraps - most thicker bass strings are at least double-wound - can produce 'reverse' changes in intonation like that.

If it intonates correctly at all fret positions both according to the tuner and when you're playing it, there isn't likely to be anything wrong with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    I don't know the makeup of the strings, they're those budget Olympic flats from Amazon. First time I've used them. But, yes, it seems to be in tune at all frets, so i guess it's okay. Don't think |I'll use these strings again though. I had intended to use an old set from my Ric (now sadly departed) but of course discovered that I'd trimmed the G to Ric length headstock. Hence emergency purchase.
    JezWynd said:

my Ric (now sadly departed)
    Be gone! I curse you!!!

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    JezWynd said:
    my Ric (now sadly departed)
    Infidel. Heretic. Burn the witch!  :o
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Yeah :/ , I was playing mostly fretless and it wasn't getting used. I did try a fretless Ric but it didn't work for me (I much prefer the S models with rounded bodies). But then I soon missed having a fretted bass.Fretless works for me once I've learned a part on a fretted, but learning something new on fretless is beyond me.
    For me, RIC 4001/4003 is a reference sound. I use it for recording Projects whenever it sits right in the arrangement.

The other aspect is the physical layout of the thing. It makes some moves possible that would not fall under the fingers on a Fender-derived design.

For many years, my only bass guitar was a late Seventies factory fretless Precision Bass. I agree that the fretless RIC bass guitars are an oddity.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    If it's in tune I wouldn't worry.

The only cheap flats I ever liked were Piccato ones, but I'm not sure they are still in business.
    JezWynd said:

I did try a fretless Ric but it didn't work for me
    Funkfingers said:

I agree that the fretless RIC bass guitars are an oddity.
    Fretless Ricks don't work for me either - there's just something not right about them.

ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

I did try a fretless Ric but it didn't work for me
    Funkfingers said:

I agree that the fretless RIC bass guitars are an oddity.
    Fretless Ricks don't work for me either - there's just something not right about them.
    The gloss finish on the fretboard and the standard fretted dot markers were a real turn off for me.
    I’m not even sure it’s that, it’s just an inherent wrongness that can’t quite be described, like a fretted upright bass.

They don't clank or fart like a fretted RIC. They don't go neeeoinnng like Jaco or Pino.