Black Tie events...last minute shopping

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    Keiko said:
    funerals and weddings
    You omitted the traditional third reason - court appearances. ;)
    Having worked in courts people rarely bothered, I was surprised how little effort anyone ever made, and if you are brought up from the cells you are in the clothes you were arrested in anyway. 

Fourth reason - job interviews. Although I suspect the suit you wear for a job interview and the one you wear for a black tie event should probably look a bit different. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    They had only two suitable trousers as 99% of their stock was seemingly for giants haha and the only ones that matched the jacket they had only in 34 short or 32 long, both "slim" which is no good without waist alteration so they don't look like weight watchers trousers at the waist :)

Hoping the blue jacket the Mrs is on about works as I'll just need any old black trousers then
    they do alterations in store, often can do in 30 mins, that's why I recommended
    All alterations are free 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30354
    Keiko said:
    funerals and weddings
    You omitted the traditional third reason - court appearances. ;)

Fourth reason - job interviews. Although I suspect the suit you wear for a job interview and the one you wear for a black tie event should probably look a bit different. 
    Unless you're applying for a job as an undertaker.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10357
    They had only two suitable trousers as 99% of their stock was seemingly for giants haha and the only ones that matched the jacket they had only in 34 short or 32 long, both "slim" which is no good without waist alteration so they don't look like weight watchers trousers at the waist :)

Hoping the blue jacket the Mrs is on about works as I'll just need any old black trousers then
    All alterations are free 
    Oh absolutely yes for any normal suit they make it somewhat easier - I have to wear a suit daily and whenever I have to top up they are worth a visit for this ease. But they can't add to a waist nor lengthen the leg unfortunately!

Thank goodness the Mrs was right about the mysterious blue jacket that I couldn't remember about is indeed suitable so I actually now just need black trousers which should be easier given they don't need to colour match so I've got more choice! The shirt/tie/shoes/cummerbund are easy so should be all sorted by the time I get home tonight. Boom!
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30354
    And don't forget, you'll need to buy some patent leather shoes.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    ESBlonde said:
    From time to time the likes of George(Asda) or a big Tesco have cheap DJ suits for about £60-75. Thats less than a hire and not much more than a dry cleaning for a suit.
    They don't always have them in stock. They might not have your size/combination. They are cheap and don't match up to the £300-600 real deal, they are thin not fully lined.
    But they work well enough, and you can get 2-3 wears out of them and won't cry if you fall over and tear the knees out, or some pillock chucks up over your back.
    In fairness though, it would bother me to buy something for to only last two or three wears, although going on my current average that means it would last until I'm either 48 or 64!
    Yes but how often do you attend Black Tie events?
    ESBlonde said:
    ESBlonde said:
    From time to time the likes of George(Asda) or a big Tesco have cheap DJ suits for about £60-75. Thats less than a hire and not much more than a dry cleaning for a suit.
    They don't always have them in stock. They might not have your size/combination. They are cheap and don't match up to the £300-600 real deal, they are thin not fully lined.
    But they work well enough, and you can get 2-3 wears out of them and won't cry if you fall over and tear the knees out, or some pillock chucks up over your back.
    In fairness though, it would bother me to buy something for to only last two or three wears, although going on my current average that means it would last until I'm either 48 or 64!
    Yes but how often do you attend Black Tie events?
    I was 15/16 ish the last one I went to haha hence the average of every 16 years
    And don't forget, you'll need to buy some patent leather shoes.
    I'm going for the velvet slipper option dahhhling
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646

A pair of clip on braces will look the part if the waist is a bit 'comfey'.
    ESBlonde said:

A pair of clip on braces will look the part if the waist is a bit 'comfey'.
    In theory yes but 34 waist would be 3 spare inches around my muddle, and they'll still be too short so I'd definitely look a bit crusty the clown :)

Not to worry, should be all good now methinks
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited July 2019
    King85 said:
    I didn't see that you're in Brum as a fellow brummie I was against primark previously due to the old store being a jumble sale nightmare but the new one is a lot more refined... 
    ...apart from the mice in the cafe. 

Every single building in brum centre ( and I'd bet any big city) has mice in it. So is life
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    It's summer, just chuck your blazer on the back of a chair as soon as you arrive.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7490
    Spend £200 on facial tattoos and go wearing your mix and match outfit. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Spend £200 on facial tattoos and go wearing your mix and match outfit. 
    I did think to get a little black dress to check on the implementation of the RICS inclusion policy
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    King85 said:
    King85 said:
    I didn't see that you're in Brum as a fellow brummie I was against primark previously due to the old store being a jumble sale nightmare but the new one is a lot more refined... 

Every single building in brum centre ( and I'd bet any big city) has mice in it. So is life
    I think I just liked the irony of being closed for a mouse infestation in a Disney themed cafe. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    King85 said:
    King85 said:

I think I just liked the irony of being closed for a mouse infestation in a Disney themed cafe. 
    They've just opened a Kitty Cafe in Grand Central... Is this perhaps connected?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15214
    Cummerbund
    Benylin - the actor chappie.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    King85 said:
    King85 said:

They've just opened a Kitty Cafe in Grand Central... Is this perhaps connected?
    Ok maybe there's one place that doesn't have mice lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 953
    What about TK Max in the City center? Matalan may have some tuxes too as it’s prom season
    I only need the trousers now, a few unsuccessful visits to various shops at lunch today so will just get any old tailored fit black trousers tomorrow I think. Matalan is too far away (25 minute walk each way according to Google) which would give me 5 minutes in store to choose and buy the trousers and 5 mins upon my return to eat lunch haha

No it's ok I'll just get a misc pair of black trousers today and be done with it all

Cheers all
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248

All alterations are free 
    Oh absolutely yes for any normal suit they make it somewhat easier - I have to wear a suit daily and whenever I have to top up they are worth a visit for this ease. But they can't add to a waist nor lengthen the leg unfortunately!

Thank goodness the Mrs was right about the mysterious blue jacket that I couldn't remember about is indeed suitable so I actually now just need black trousers which should be easier given they don't need to colour match so I've got more choice! The shirt/tie/shoes/cummerbund are easy so should be all sorted by the time I get home tonight. Boom!
    they can "ease" a waist on new keks about 1 inch, maybe a bit more
    there's often a bit more leg there tucked away too.
    This info is more for future reference