PRS SE Paul's Guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    thegummy said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:
    Not sure if I've already said this but I so wish this guitar was available when I bought my first guitar cause I'd have chosen this.

I chose the Custom and had no idea about number of frets so went with 24 thinking more must be better and now the guitar practically sits redundant because I hate 24 fret guitars now.

Whereas this only comes in 22 frets so I wouldn't have been able to make that mistake.
    Why do you hate 24frets? Can’t you just ignore the last 2 if you don’t want to play them?!
    lol I take it you're joking but that's actually what I thought at the time, I didn't really know much about guitars.
    Was only half joking. I recently got a 24 fret Ibanez Jem 7v and am loving it. Really, the only marked difference in playability vs my strat is that it’s got 3 extra frets to play and a thinner neck. I don’t notice any obvious disadvantage as a result of the 24frets, not that I’ll be using 23-24 often. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:
    Not sure if I've already said this but I so wish this guitar was available when I bought my first guitar cause I'd have chosen this.

I chose the Custom and had no idea about number of frets so went with 24 thinking more must be better and now the guitar practically sits redundant because I hate 24 fret guitars now.

Whereas this only comes in 22 frets so I wouldn't have been able to make that mistake.
    Why do you hate 24frets? Can’t you just ignore the last 2 if you don’t want to play them?!
    lol I take it you're joking but that's actually what I thought at the time, I didn't really know much about guitars.
    Was only half joking. I recently got a 24 fret Ibanez Jem 7v and am loving it. Really, the only marked difference in playability vs my strat is that it’s got 3 extra frets to play and a thinner neck. I don’t notice any obvious disadvantage as a result of the 24frets, not that I’ll be using 23-24 often. 
    It's not the playability it's that the extra frets are where the neck pickup would usually be so the neck pickup has to be moved closer to the bridge and sounds more like a middle pickup than a proper neck pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:

It's not the playability it's that the extra frets are where the neck pickup would usually be so the neck pickup has to be moved closer to the bridge and sounds more like a middle pickup than a proper neck pickup.
    Can’t say that’s something I’ve ever considered on my Jem. It already sounds different to my Les Paul being a ceramic humbucker. A Les Paul neck pickup will sound different anyway. Not sure it’s worth splitting hairs over the difference on super strats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:

Can’t say that’s something I’ve ever considered on my Jem. It already sounds different to my Les Paul being a ceramic humbucker. A Les Paul neck pickup will sound different anyway. Not sure it’s worth splitting hairs over the difference on super strats.
    Definitely not splitting hairs, it doesn't have that deep hollow tone I use the neck pickup for all the time.

Would be like someone who uses the neck pickup getting a Nashville Tele with the neck pickup removed and be forced to use the middle pickup instead - it just wouldn't cut it.
    thegummy said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:

Definitely not splitting hairs, it doesn't have that deep hollow tone I use the neck pickup for all the time.

Would be like someone who uses the neck pickup getting a Nashville Tele with the neck pickup removed and be forced to use the middle pickup instead - it just wouldn't cut it.
    You’re describing a vintage neck humbucker tone on a Les Paul style guitar I think. I suspect you’d get closer with the PRS with a carefully selected pickup change and EQ/ tone tweaking . I guess most people looking for 24 frets arn’t thinking “vintage”.

That said I’m sure you’re right and it’s just not crossed my mind with the Ibanez as I’m not looking for it to replace my Les Paul or do the same job. I would say that the HSH configuration on the Jem makes it the most versatile guitar I own in terms of genre but it still won’t nail a strat or Les Paul exactly. 
    TINMAN82 said:

You’re describing a vintage neck humbucker tone on a Les Paul style guitar I think. I suspect you’d get closer with the PRS with a carefully selected pickup change and EQ/ tone tweaking . I guess most people looking for 24 frets arn’t thinking “vintage”.

That said I’m sure you’re right and it’s just not crossed my mind with the Ibanez as I’m not looking for it to replace my Les Paul or do the same job. I would say that the HSH configuration on the Jem makes it the most versatile guitar I own in terms of genre but it still won’t nail a strat or Les Paul exactly. 
    It's not that I necessarily want a vintage or a LP tone, it just can never sound the same as the neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar because where the pickup is physically placed makes at least as much difference as what pickup it is. Just think how much different the bridge pickup sounds to the neck pickup on any guitar, even when the pickups are the same.

Joe Satriani refused to use 24 fret guitars for a long time and then eventually only used one when it had a single-coil sized humbucker in the neck to minimize the placement issue.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    TINMAN82 said:

It's not that I necessarily want a vintage or a LP tone, it just can never sound the same as the neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar because where the pickup is physically placed makes at least as much difference as what pickup it is. Just think how much different the bridge pickup sounds to the neck pickup on any guitar, even when the pickups are the same.

Joe Satriani refused to use 24 fret guitars for a long time and then eventually only used one when it had a single-coil sized humbucker in the neck to minimize the placement issue.
    Fair enough. The Jem is my first 24 fret axe so this isn’t an issue I’ve worried about before. It serves a purpose. If I want a purer vintage blues tones I’ll just pick up something else.
  • TroglodyteTroglodyte Frets: 18
    Snags said:
    Has anyone here actually played one, or have any hands-on thoughts?
    I tried one a Coda a couple of months ago. Build quality was up to the usual SE level (it's made in Indonesia not Korea). Neck is much more of a handful than most SEs as it's a wide fat. I personally liked the look less in person than I did in pictures - in particular the pickup surrounds look huge - I think they should be a different colour to the pickups. You may also like a different body colour in person. I've never tried the Core Pauls guitar so I can't tell you how it compares. 

In the end I walked out with the S2 Vela I actually went in to try out. Now there's a guitar you should try if you can...