Looking for a 2 channel combo c.£400

moz91moz91 Frets: 38
After a 2 channel combo with good cleans and a reasonable amount of dirt. Got another rig for proper rock stuff so in definitely not looking for something with bags of gain and a killer lead tone. Nice cleans and ideally mid-hi gain crunch. Supersonic 22 ticks all the boxes but it's a bit above budget! Separate eq would be nice but not essential. Ideally would like either a footswitchable fx loop or MV boost to kick in a lead boost.
Tweaker 40 combo looks perfect, just wondering if there's anything I've missed???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    The PRS SE amps have been discontinued and some are being sold off quite cheaply. A friend purchased the PRS SE20W and said it's loud for the wattage, has great cleans, courtesy of 6v6s and a versatile lead channel. Seperate EQ for each channel, a decent reverb and an fx loop.

I think Gear for music and Guitar Village, Farnham carry them. Failing that, Thomanns.
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    Ah cheers I'll have a look at them!
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

There is currently a Hughes and Kettner Duotone on Ebay.

2 channel. Built like a brick shithouse.

Awesome sound (not masses of Bass available), spanky clean tone, great OD/Dist with foot switchable boost.

Switchable 2nd master volume (you'll never look at an amp without this feature again).

Valve driven long tank spring reverb, valve driven fx loop (not foot switchable).

Plus they look Ultra-cool.

Apparently though they are not in fashion, and you can pick that one up for £425 ono.

A fair bit less than they are brand new at Gear4music.com for £1979!

Ooh that looks tasty!!! In Berkshire mind -_- that might be a go-er!!!

I might come across as a bit of a fan boy, but that's fine by me. I love mine and drove what should've been an 8 hour round trip for it (ended up stuck in three separate motorway incidents and was literally out all day), paid £675 which I thought was pretty fair.

£400 (which you should easily squeeze that down to) is insane for that. I'm not an expert on every amp ever released, but worked as a guitar/amp salesman for 6 years or so. I don't think you'll ever get anything near that quality for that price.

Better be quick someone just put in an offer... or was that you?

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
    I'd second the PRS SE 20 had one for awhile now and love it.

Dan - that was me ;)

Limited videos online but from what i can see/hear they seem rather cool... All i really need are some good, fender-esque cleans and a half-decent crunch; seems to tick all the boxes.

The PRS stuff looks quite interesting but i think im going to take a punt on this HK... Unless something else interesting comes to my attention!

Hmmm the more i look at the duotone, the more it appears to be a bit of a rock monster!!
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Very nice Koch Studiotone 20 in the classifieds.  Excellent build quality and amazing tone.  I have the 50 watt Twintone II and it is easily a Mesa killer.
    They're rather tasty! Probably not quite what I'm after... If It had a footswitchable loop or MV boost and the midboost was only on the drive then I'd be on it like a rash!

@moz91 I thought the offer had to be you. Too much of a coincidence.

With regards to the clean channel I would describe it as strident. If your playing quick funky chops you can hear it's dynamics following your every move. It will stay clean and strong as loud as you like (great base for pedals), without feeling cold. If I want something with just a little bit of gain, I tend to roll back the guitar volume on the un-boosted OD channel. Although I am thinking of adding a Wampler Euphoria in front just for another flavour.

As to it being a Rock Monster I would certainly agree (but only you select where the gain control goes). I mentioned earlier that there isn't a lot of thick chuggy bass available (in a band with a bass player and keys player this is not a negative for me). But it focuses and projects your sound in a way that it almost seems like lesser amps have to be louder to get the same perceived level.

Hope this has helped, and good luck whatever you decide.