New OD required

2»

Comments

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    How about an Exotic EP boost? or the MXR Custom badass 78 does a surprisingly good low gain boost
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 761
    I've already got an EP Boost, with fat control too, so this is being used to give the Tele a bit of a lift and fattening up.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 889

I've tried loads of OD pedals and one that's really impressing me at the moment is the Xotic AC boost. It's reasonably TS like, but has a bit more gain and it has a very powerful active bass and treble control (cut and boost) so you can really dial it in if the amount of bass is the issue (which I find the most common issue with ODs)

The RC and BB have the same so one of them will probably fit the bill.

partial post hijack - have a go on a BB Preamp MB if you can find one - has an extra control for (upper) mid which gives a bit more bite. I think it has slightly more gain than the standard BB too. Definitely fits the requirements of warm sounding and very tweakable.

• skayskay Frets: 412
    The way the controls work on the Timmy should let you sculpt the sound to exactly how you prefer. The bass control is pre-gain, so if it's sounding mushy, undefined or "flabby" as you say, then dialling this control back (as turning it clockwise is actually cutting the bass you're feeding into the drive circuit) to 1pm should tighten things up. If you think the resulting sound is now too trebly, well the treble is post-gain and raising this to 11-12 o'clock should do the trick (as clockwise cuts the treble this time) Have you tried different op-amp chips in your Timmy? I swapped in a LM1458 chip in place of the stock JRC4559 and it smoothed things out and let me dial in the Timmy with more cut without it becoming too shrill.

Do you run your Klon clone at the start of your chain? I use a Frederic Effects Zombie Klon first in line to boost my Zvex Distortron and Timmy, which adds some thickness and results in my rhythm and leads really sticking out and filling the room when required; the extra mids making my sound thicker as if I had more bass content to my sound than I really have.

So my advice would be to try stacking your pedals you already have, basically your Kingslayer Klone clone into your Dano TOD V1, and this should result in a gain boost along with adding some thick mids that will really stand out and give the impression of more bass, which you don't really want as that's what the bass player is for!!!

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Have you tried a Lazy j Cruiser? If you got the Deuce version you have a switchable transparent boost and warm natural overdrive. I've got the plain Jane one switch version and love it.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

I use a TC Electronic Mojo Mojo with my Telecaster and it sounds bloody awesome to me. Loads of Bass (Haunting Mids. :) ) and very clear treble all seemingly at the same time. The voice switch goes between tight and scooped and loose and open sounds, I tend to leave it up in the open position but it's honestly the best OD I have owned so far. With my Telecaster (American Special with Texas Special Pickups) I find it really easy to get great tones for playing Black Crowes, Lynard Skynard, with the gain right up it does a very good Neil Young too. I'm really pleased with it. Ive got a spark booster as well and that gives it a kick into a heavier tone which is amazing for lead.

I'm playing it through the clean channel on a Blackstar HT20 Combo with the ISF around halfway, Bass just below half, mids in the middle and treble just above halfway.

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7412
    GavHaus said:
    I'm a pretty big fan of my Crowther Hotcake. Definitely worth a go.

Hymnal said:
    The hotcake isn't a definite: people give seriously mixed reviews about it.

Whilst a great pedal, I totally agree with @Hymnal. ; The HotCake is one of the most marmite pedals around and for what they cost I would either try or buy second hand with a view to shifting on if it's not for you.

Yeah, to be fair, mine was £70, so well worth it. I love it, but it's twitchy. Capable of great things though, to my ear. I'm ok with it being marmite; means I won't sound like everyone else.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    The Hotcake really takes some time to get used to but it can do some great light drive. 

When you turn it right up it becomes a fairly horrible fuzz. 
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Right from left field the Zinky True Grit is a brilliant dual mode drive that can be as focussed or as mental as you want.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Okko Diablo - I guarantee you'll find tones you'll love in it.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 643
    edited May 2014
    I'd look at a Colorsound Overdriver (or clone). The Colorsound has huge amounts of clean boost on tap and separate bass and treble controls. The drive comes on really late (like in the last quarter of the gain dial) and goes from smooth and warm to verging on fuzz within that last 1/4. If you want tone samples, its early David Gilmour/ Pink Floyd - it was his main OD of choice. Checkout www.gilmourish.com for more info on it.
  • Homerun66Homerun66 Frets: 2
    You could try the Emerson Custom Guitars Paramount Overdrive. This is good to push a gain channel. And the XTS Custom Pedals 
    Precision Overdrive and the Mad professor Sweet Honey Overdrive.