Which EVH 5150 iii should I buy?

FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1456
Looks like I've got a buyer for my Triple Rectifier so I'll shortly be purchasing a 5150 iii of some description. 

Right now I'm torn between the 50w and the 100w versions. I know a few people on here have some experience with these models so I'd like to hear your opinions.

I'm not really fussed about the well documented volume jump on the 50w, I'm more interested if there's going to be any sacrifice in the overall tone if I go for the 50w. For example, is it as big sounding and does it have the same sort of thump. 

I'll be playing all sorts of shows with it, from back rooms of pubs (un mic'd) to a few thousand capacity venues (mic'd).

Appreciate your help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think they sound pretty similar, both sound huge.

If you're not fussed on the volume jump, I'm assuming channel switching isn't an issue.

The peavey 6505 and 6505+ head (has full eq on other channel) are USA made and seem to be cheaper used. They are full size though, if that's a consideration.
  • Great, that's the sort of input I'm looking for.  I have the option to get both, but If I get the 50w I can finally sort my pedalboard out with the spare cash.

I will be switching but only need two channels.

I have owned both of these before and didn't really gel with them, but I love the 5150iii.
  • If it's the... Well, you know what channel I'm on about, that you want, they're all pretty much identical, you're splitting hairs as to the difference.

The 5153 100 watter has more sophisticated switching controls, though, so it does justify it's place.

For me, I'd only be interested in cleanish and heavy gain, so any model would work. I'll probably go for a used peavey 6505+ head as USA made, around 600 quid, and very reliable. I don't need midi or anything :)

Peavey don't do a smaller one though, asides from the 60 watt combo and I can't help but worry it might be microphonic, having such a high gain amp in the same shell as the speaker.
  • Yep, I'll mainly be on red and blue, I sometimes use a bit of clean but I'm quite happy to compromise on this.

I think the Midi is a definite bonus for me as well, I like FX so being able to control those with one tap is a big plus.

I can't comment on the Peavey combo, but from my experience the head's are pretty much indestructable!
  • If you want the midi, there is only one choice, the bigger 5153. Apparently, it's got a nicer clean channel, too :D
  • I think it's actually the other way round, the 50w has the MIDI and the 100w doesn't, strange I know! 
  • I take back my previous statement!
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    100 watter is the better amp had both models and kept the 100
  • leerocker said:
    100 watter is the better amp had both models and kept the 100
    Do you know how it compares to the Peavey 6505+ head? I know in previous iterations they were remarkably similar (same circuit?) but not sure about third gen.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    50watter sounds fucking beastly. Probably the best 50watter I've ever played. The volume jump pissed me off though.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    I gig the 50W most weeks - sounds great - for me the midi switching sealed the deal - if you channel switch via midi with a multifx in the loop you can use that to adjust the volumes as well.    The only flaw for me is the lack of an overall master volume so you need to balance the channels volumes when you set the volume you need at each gig but that's no big deal and the quality of sounds make it worthwhile.