first nut job and set up

What's Hot
ok guys.  my mex strat conversion is coming along so it should become a guitar for all sounds type of axe.

I'm going to replace the nut with a graphite job and then set up the neck.  using a wilkinson trem at the bottom end set floating and locking tuners.

is the nut replacement and setup relatively easy for the complete beginner.  I'm after a guitar that stays in tune when I do some whammy bar abuse albeit not to floyd rose levels.  Do you have a link to a sensible step by step instruction set as I don't want to make a hack job of the nut for instance.

or should i just take it to the guitar tech and ask him to fit the nut and set it up?

ta

nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

Do you have nut files? If you don't, and don't want to buy a set (they aren't cheap) I'd get the nut cut by someone with the tools and experience.

• alanchanxdalanchanxd Frets: 64
    you should buy nut files depending on if you want to do future nut jobs. Because of their expensive price, nut files are like an investment, you must use them enough times to make your investment worthwhile.

The process is challenging the first time you do it. You have to consider
    - fretboard / nut radius (therefore you might need a fretboard radius gauge)
    - the string gauge you are using (this may determine which file sizes to buy)

Alternatively, a simpler method is to buy a pre-slotted graphtech graphite nut. I don't think they should cost more than 15 pounds and it is pre-slotted already so that you don't have to buy fret files. 

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9803
    Cutting a nut properly requires knowledge, experience and the right tools. The knowledge is easy (read Dan Erlewine's books) but experience takes a lot of time and the tools are expensive. Unless you're planning to do a lot of them, I say pay your local friendly tech to do it.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17008
    alanchanxd;248302" said:

Alternatively, a simpler method is to buy a pre-slotted graphtech graphite nut. I don't think they should cost more than 15 pounds and it is pre-slotted already so that you don't have to buy fret files. 
    pre-slotted nuts do not get you out of needing nut files. They save a bit of time shaping and measuring string spacing, but still need a lot of set up work to get working right.
  • alanchanxdalanchanxd Frets: 64
    WezV said:
    alanchanxd;248302" said:

pre-slotted nuts do not get you out of needing nut files. They save a bit of time shaping and measuring string spacing, but still need a lot of set up work to get working right.
    The last graphtech nut I used on my partocaster surprisingly didn't require any nut jobs. the intonation was also spot on

Even the instructions say that it is a "drop and swap" solution, requiring no slotting whatsoever.

There are tools out there to make it easier for slotting nuts. I use this jig i bought on ebay to help me shape the nut to the proper radius and spacing

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17008
    I am not saying it didn't work for you on that one occasion with that one brand of nut.  I am saying preslotted nuts generally need more work. I would go as far as saying 'always need more work' actually, and i bet if I got my hands on the guitar you added the nut to I would still want to tweak it further

consider what is really required for a nut to be "drop and swap".   consider all the variables that change from guitar to guitar.   the best graphtech can do is a best guess that works for most guitars, but is actually ideal for very few.  of course it makes no sense for them to advertise it that way.    That is from one preslotted nut, most others makes no claims of being anywhere near close and are often further out than that

most people who buy one expecting "drop and swap" will be disappointed, or playing a guitar that is not set up as well as it can be
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 425
    For many years I cut my own nuts without the nut slotting files. I just ground junior hacksaw blades so that they were thinner (always use eye protection). I might not have done professional work - but it was always an improvement on the rubbish that came as standard. Mind you, I always worked in brass (I'm that age). When I started to try bone, I needed a set of nut files - and now I have two sets, one expensive and one cheap. 

But I make many more mistakes working with bone - but it is cheap enough to throw away and start over so I've never been to a guitar tech for a nut. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Gagaryn said:

Do you have nut files? If you don't, and don't want to buy a set (they aren't cheap) I'd get the nut cut by someone with the tools and experience.

There's that guy on ebay..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    yep - got the hint.  guitar tech time :)