Bands that Use Touring Musicians (Hidden or Upfront)

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I wouldn't like to say that it is definitely the case in case I am wrong, but, Filter? 

Maybe this wasn't the case before. I'm not sure exactly what the situation is but I saw Filter live a few months ago and they brought out a 2nd guitarist for Hey Man Nice Shot and he had half his left arm missing... he only played on that song and I'm not sure whether he was in the band before and played the full set when he had his arm and then lost it somehow (cos in some videos they seem to have a 2nd guitarist on a lot of other songs live)? But I was surprised - considering he had half an arm he did a cracking job! 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6939

Finally who can forget Craig Gannon, the fifth Smith who I saw at Brixton Academy on the Queen is Dead tour. I guess he doesn't count as he was, albeit briefly, an actual band member!
    :)>-
    Ah yes, good call!

To be fair, he was never used to his potential in The Smiths - I remember Marr saying the end part of That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore could/ should have been epic live but never quite lived up to its promise.

Major envy felt, by the way - If there is one tour i wish I could go back and see....

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    edited May 2014

It does seem to be keyboard players that get hidden a lot!

Don't Iron Maiden have a guitar tech or roadie that plays the keys for them live....(I could google this I suppose)

***Edit*** Yes they do...Michael Kenney, Steve Harris's bass tech...."The Count"

And you can see him in action halfway through this.  He's most definitely getting his moment in the spotlight.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    One of my students saw Green Day and said it was kind of odd, and maybe a bit rude that they never introduced or acknowledged the extra guitarist.  I can understand having extra players when they're needed but bring them into it......

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    The worst example in the other direction was Charlotte Hatherley in Ash.

After several years of playing with her (not to mention her being the best singer and guitarist in the group) they got rid of her saying she was never a proper member of the band and was just on a wage and so had been dismissed as surplus to requirements.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    monquixote;241943" said:

After several years of playing with her (not to mention her being the best singer and guitarist in the group) they got rid of her saying she was never a proper member of the band and was just on a wage and so had been dismissed as surplus to requirements.
    I'm not sure what the gripe is here....

I'd have been thrilled not to have to play with Ash again....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28744
    Speaking of the whole Ash/Hatherly thing - it's telling that they became shit overnight when she left...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    stickyfiddle;242092" said:
    Speaking of the whole Ash/Hatherly thing - it's telling that they were always shit...
    I've fixed that for you!
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    monquixote;241943" said:

I'm not sure what the gripe is here....

I'd have been thrilled not to have to play with Ash again....
    Well true. 

You only have to look at the fact that she is now the guitarist for Bat For Lashes and KT Tunstall and they are nowhere in particular.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    You only have to look at the fact that she is now the guitarist for Bat For Lashes and KT Tunstall and they are nowhere in particular.
    But at least they're quite good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein