Joyo JF-10 Dynamic Compressor

What's Hot
MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
After being extremely hesitant to purchase a Joyo pedal I finally bit the bullet. Despite it being well reviewed I was put off by the price, it was £23 brand new which naturally made me question its quality.

However it came this morning and I am pleased to say it has surpassed my expectations. For £23 you literally cannot go wrong. I have never owned a compression pedal before but being a player who leans towards the funk style I felt it would be a good addition.

I do have to make a point of stressing that it is a subtle compression and you can't really get that overly 'squashed' sound, but it cleans up my sound very well and gives me that much sought after 'punch' for funk guitar. The added sustain is a bonus as well.

The build quality is good and it feels very solid with its metal casing, and who doesn't like a green guitar pedal with a scorpion on it? I did however have to tighten the nut around the footswitch as it was a little bit loose.

I'm not saying I'll never go for another compressor in the future but as someone who has never owned one before (I have played many others though) it is a great first step.

Most importantly it has made me not be such a snob in regards to price = quality. I think I'll start looking into others that they make!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Ultimate Drive next!

• MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    d8m said:
    Ultimate Drive next!
    Not gonna lie, I'm tempted!
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I'm not gonna lie, I've never had a compressor so now I am tempted!

Just make sure you know what you're getting, it's not like a Wah or Fuzz that you can sit and play with for hours XD
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    edited May 2014
    I have the Joyo comp but have decided to sell it. It's a subtle effect but a little too subtle for me. I have the sustain full on and it does dampen volume peaks but you get little or almost no sustain. Apparently it works better with a stronger signal into the input and I might yet try this out of curiosity. Some have modded the pedal in order to get round this but I haven't got the know how. I've tried a few comps, digital and analog and have a little collection, but I keep coming back to the boss cs3. It easily does in its lower settings what the Joyo does flat out, but has the range to go a lot further.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Paulo said:
    I have the Joyo comp but have decided to sell it. It's a subtle effect but a little too subtle for me. I have the sustain full on and it does dampen volume peaks but you get little or almost no sustain. Apparently it works better with a stronger signal into the input and I might yet try this out of curiosity. Some have modded the pedal in order to get round this but I haven't got the know how. I've tried a few comps, digital and analog and have a little collection, but I keep coming back to the boss cs3. It easily does in its lower settings what the Joyo does flat out, but has the range to go a lot further.
    What'd you mean by a stronger signal into the input?
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    The Biyang compressor is also good. I picked the big silver one up a while back in the classifieds and it really does have loads of squish. I can get quite a good Byrds type sound out of it which is what I wanted.

The only issue is it's so big and the LED is so bright helicopters keep in trying to land on it. :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    ^ Also in my experience Biyang reliability is iffy (haven't tried the Biyang comp).

Paulo said:
    Yeah the Joyo compressor is pretty subtle. I tried it next to my boss cs3 like you said and you'd have barely known the joyo was on. I hadn't tried mine for a while and I wondered if mine had gone faulty! :))
    edited May 2014
    After messing around with it for a few hours I can say i'm pretty happy with it, on a scale probably a 7/10.

The sustain however is non existent which is frustrating. I wish i was able to mod my own pedals, I'm useless with electronics.
    By strong signal I mean a boost or drive or possibly high output pickups. A strat or Tele straight in has minimal impact on the pedal's response. This is discussed more on the tdpri forums where some have somehow modded the input.
    I tried the Joyo the other night and strummed a chord with sustain full on. I toggled between on and off and asked a student what he thought of the sustain. "there isn't any" he replied. He wasn't wrong either.
    edited May 2014
    I raised this on the tdpri forum and was accused of not understanding compression. To be honest there's a lot of bullshit talked about gear. There are two high profile reviewers on YT who review the Joyo deluxe crunch pedal and mistakenly think the PRE control is a preamp rather than prescence, which it is. They adjust this control and invite you to hear how the preamp affects the signal. It's called listening with ones eyes.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10362
    I have the joyo, i like using it when playing rhythm and feeling lazy as it seems to even out repeated chords quite well, cant say I've noticed the lack of sustain, probably because ive used it for detached or non-sustainy playing. Does boost quite well too if you set it right.
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    Paulo said:
    I raised this on the tdpri forum and was accused of not understanding compression.
    Yeah. :haha I mean I think I have a reasonable handle on what compression is, how it works and what it's for, and the joyo one is definitely in the subtle camp (or at least a lot more subtle than, say, a boss cs3).
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Paulo said:   I raised this on the tdpri forum and was accused of not understanding compression. 
    Dave_Mc said:     Yeah. :haha I mean I think I have a reasonable handle on what compression is, how it works and what it's for, and the joyo one is definitely in the subtle camp (or at least a lot more subtle than, say, a boss cs3).

Lets face it @Dave_Mc,

An  ice pick in the forehead   is more subtle than a Boss CS3

:))