Clichéd set list

What's Hot
robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3121
Thinking of starting a covers band called "Cliché".

What should we play?

R.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    All Right Now, Run To You, Jonny B Goode, the (cliche set) list is endless....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    Mr Brightside
    Sex on Fire
    Chelsea Dagger
    Summer of 69
    Livin on a Prayer
    Comfortably Numb
    Sweet Child of Mine
    Dakota
    I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
    Brown Eyed Girl

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9127
    Mustang Sally
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    I always wanted to start a covers band called Quilt.

Moondance
    Smoke on the Water
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Call the band Cliche, open your set with Johnny B Goode, then straight into an Ossibissa cover. Really mess with people's heads.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    The start of the second set won't be complete without a monotonous droning and slightly too slow cover of "Losing My Religion". Bonus points if you don't even try to do the mandolin riff.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

You need a drummer who will ignore the actual correct drum pattern that the original song had and replace it with his own basic 4 \ 4

You need a bass player that will mainly stick to the root notes even though the correct bass pattern is a constant walk

As a guitarist you should cop enough of the riff in the song your covering to make it barely recognizable  .... and make NO attempt to cop the correct solo or joining fills

Your backing vocals need to either ignore the correct harmony and just sing along in unison or you need to put a perfect third on to every single note regardless of the key or interval

Your lead singer needs a really bad PA  with a terrible frequency response and cheap monitors that feedback as soon as someone even looks at em. Don't use any compression ... you need the vocals to go from being overly loud in comparison to the backline to overly quiet in other parts of the song. 
    You don't want to switch the cheap reverb unit off during the break between songs ... you want to say "Thank you" and  announce the next song covered in that glorious cheap reverb goo

Then you need to pick some songs that have been flocked to death ... do precisely 4 gigs and then split the band up because you can't get on with the rest of em :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:

You need a drummer who will ignore the actual correct drum pattern that the original song had and replace it with his own basic 4 \ 4

You need a bass player that will mainly stick to the root notes even though the correct bass pattern is a constant walk

As a guitarist you should cop enough of the riff in the song your covering to make it barely recognizable  .... and make NO attempt to cop the correct solo or joining fills

Your backing vocals need to either ignore the correct harmony and just sing along in unison or you need to put a perfect third on to every single note regardless of the key or interval

Your lead singer needs a really bad PA  with a terrible frequency response and cheap monitors that feedback as soon as someone even looks at em. Don't use any compression ... you need the vocals to go from being overly loud in comparison to the backline to overly quiet in other parts of the song. 
    You don't want to switch the cheap reverb unit off during the break between songs ... you want to say "Thank you" and  announce the next song covered in that glorious cheap reverb goo

Then you need to pick some songs that have been flocked to death ... do precisely 4 gigs and then split the band up because you can't get on with the rest of em :)
    Did you copy and paste most of that from my autobiography?
    :ar!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    I'm calling my band '997 Megabyte Broadband' - 'cos we can't get a gig ;)

Proud Mary
    In the Midnight Hour
    Bad Moon Rising
    Brown Eyed Girl
    Sweet Home Alabama
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Freebird

Back in Black

Any Eagles hit

Lets Stick together

Burnin Love or any Elvis chessy hit

Proud Mary

Nutbush City Limits

Sooo many, shudders.
    have we had Long Train Running yet?

I was in a shop the other day and Alright Now came on their PA. Just awesome, works so well. But I have never heard a cover of it I liked. I even saw Paul Rodgers do it with The Law and I didn't like it. The version he did with Brian May was awful. Cringeworthy. Apart from cliche set lists it should be left alone!
    :|
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 136
    Ok team, do your worst :) This is our actual set list for tonight's wedding reception.

1. Last Night
    2. Take Me To The River           
    3. I Feel Good                            
    4. Knock On Wood                     
    5. In the Midnight Hour              
    6. Honky Tonk Women              
    7. Brown Sugar                          
    8. Mercy                                     
    9. Summertime                          
    10. These Boots are made for walking                         
    11. Son of A Preacher Man         
    12. Proud Mary                            
    13. Rehab                                    
    14. She Said                                
    15. Valerie

1. Can’t Turn You Loose            
    2. Gimme Some Lovin‘               
    3. Mustang Sally                         
    4. Louie Louie                            Ukulele
    5. Stand By Me
    6. Heatwave
    7. Dancing In The Street
    8. Nowhere to Run
    9. You’ve Got the Love              
    10. Sex On Fire  
    11. Something Else                     
    12. Roll Over Beethoven
    13. Johnny B Goode

1. Hound Dog
    2. Blue Suede Shoes
    3. Jailhouse Rock                      
    4. I saw Her Standing There
    5. White Wedding
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    How has no-one mentioned "Play That Funky Music" yet?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    Dear God.

And you wonder why DJs get more bookings than bands these days...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited May 2014
    HippoPete;241688" said:
    Ok team, do your worst :) This is our actual set list for tonight's wedding reception.

Take Me To The River           

I Feel Good                            

Knock On Wood                     

In the Midnight Hour              

Honky Tonk Women              

Brown Sugar                          

Mercy                                     

Summertime                          

These Boots are made for walking                         

Son of A Preacher Man         

Proud Mary                            

Rehab                                    

She Said                                

Valerie

Can’t Turn You Loose            

Gimme Some Lovin‘               

Mustang Sally                         

Louie Louie                            Ukulele

Stand By Me

Heatwave

Dancing In The Street

Nowhere to Run

You’ve Got the Love              

Sex On Fire  

Something Else                     

Roll Over Beethoven

Johnny B Goode

Hound Dog

Blue Suede Shoes

Jailhouse Rock                      

I saw Her Standing There

White Wedding
    Sounds great.

Can I gate-crash?
  • HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 136
    Only if you are a slightly tipsy Bridesmaid with a penchant for chubby bass players.
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Danny1969 said:

So you've been to the jam night at Esquires in Bedford then ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Danny1969 said:

Big deja vu here!  You left out "then post an ad and do it all over again".

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3689
    edited May 2014
    You know what? I don't give a shit whether this stuff is considered cliched or not. Last night I played "Brown Sugar", "All Right Now", "Mustang Sally", "I Saw Her Standing There" and many many more (voice over in the style of KTel).

The place was absolutely bouncing, people got down and boogied, standing on chairs and singing their heads off. Our singer is in his mid 20s and wasn't even born when these songs were written and he delivered these songs like a pro. We got three more bookings out of it including an offer of a New Years Eve gig and I got £50 in my hand for having a whale of a time, standing in front of my amp, knocking out a bit of classic rock and making an entire pub of people feel good.

I've played in originals bands, blues bands, funk bands and now a classic rock covers band and this is the most fun in a group that I've ever had. So if you don't like playing this stuff I'm cool with that because it leaves more gigs for people like me who love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9127
    Ssshhh. Don't give the game away

Our set list on Friday included Valerie, Moondance, Long Train Running, and a few others from the list above. The bar took a record amount, not least because so many people were up dancing and getting thirsty. One of the guests said afterwards that Must( h)ang Sally made her night.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.