Bad Back need a combo

What's Hot
JD50JD50 Frets: 670

Lugging a 50 watt tube head & 2 x 12 cab around is not doing me any good so until my back is sorted I need to find a combo for rehearsals / gigs. It would have to be a single 12 due to weight.

Could 2nd hand Fender HRDX III be the way to go?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You'll possibly find a head and 1x12 easier to be honest, combos are often pretty heavy. Valve combos, even smaller 1x12 ones, can be pretty heavy.

You could also try a diagonal 2x12, which is tall enough to wheel around :)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747

Well! You know where I come from and what my ID.ea will be?

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    A Blues Junior is a nice weight and got decent volume.  I got one not long ago and the weight is a huge relief after using an Orange combo the last few years.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    edited May 2014
    JD50 said:

Lugging a 50 watt tube head & 2 x 12 cab around is not doing me any good so until my back is sorted I need to find a combo for rehearsals / gigs. It would have to be a single 12 due to weight.

No, they're quite heavy.

A Mesa Express 5:25 is surprisingly light - not just light for a Mesa, actually really light. And still loud enough to gig - even the 1x10" version is, and still very full-sounding for such a small amp.

If you're willing to contemplate a non-valve solution, what Dave was trying to avoid being too obvious with ;).

Blackstar ID60. I haven't tried lifting the combo, but the head is so light it almost feels like it's empty. Possibly because most of it is :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    Interesting..as I'm contemplating going FROM a combo to separates to save the old back......granted I'm using a Bogner Shiva combo which weighs the same as a small house....
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 670
    A Blues Junior is a nice weight and got decent volume.  I got one not long ago and the weight is a huge relief after using an Orange combo the last few years.
    I play in a 6 piece, how does it fair in band/gig volumes?
    Thanks for the advice so far guys, I should mention my budget is £300 so 2nd hand.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Maybe something like the Laney IRT Studio and a a 112 cab. Very portable, very light but still gives you amazing quality tones.
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    Yep, get a 1x12 cab, Carvin do a nice one which is quite large but mostly empty so sounds really good and full, and with a V30.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 

My 2 x 12 is already loaded with V30's, i'd be tempted to try something else If I go the single 12 route, perhaps Greenback. Although the cheapest option would be to pick up an empty cab & stick one of the V30's from my 2 x 12 in it.

Do those 'neodymium' speakers sound as good as regular speakers?

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4165
    JD50 said:
    It's definitely loud enough with my band (vocals, 2 guitars, bass, drums) and the other guitarist in the band has a 100w valve Marshall combo.  I only need the master on about 3 in the rehearsal room, a bit higher at gigs obviously.  I did a lot of reading up on this amp before buying it and a lot of people gig them and say they are plenty loud enough.  Personally, I have been very impressed with it. You could probably get a used HRD for same price as a used BJr but like you, I wanted a smaller lighter amp.  Mine is the III version and I got it for £300.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    Jet City 20W combo?

It's still about 18kg, mind. I have a bad back, and I try to stay away from combos...if it's that bad, then the Jet City 20W JCA22H and 1x12" might be a better idea to spread the weight a bit. Might go about £30 over your budget though, so I'm not sure whether that'd work for you.
    <space for hire>
    JD50 said:

In my opinion, no.

But you should probably see if you can find one to try, since it's probably a personal thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32391
    JD50 said:
    Depends on the band. I used one in a 6-piece band with a boogie piano player but with a fairly light drummer and the Blues Junior was totally inaudible. Not just "not quite loud enough", I genuinely had no idea whether it was even switched on or not.

Keyboards just tend to eat all available frequencies, though you may get away with it in some guitar bands.
    You'll still sound shit though. :)
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    ICBM said:
    JD50 said:

No, they're quite heavy.

A Mesa Express 5:25 is surprisingly light ..
    According to specs on the web, both the 5:25 (12") and the HRD are the same weight: 45lbs (20kg). Presumably the 10" 5:25 is a bit lighter?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited May 2014
    My 10" 5:25 is about 17.5kg iirc. A smidge more than the Rivera Clubster 25 it replaced
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited May 2014
    According to specs on the web, both the 5:25 (12") and the HRD are the same weight: 45lbs (20kg). Presumably the 10" 5:25 is a bit lighter?
    That's interesting… yes, the last one I picked up (yesterday) was a 10" one and they're pretty light. I remembered the 12" as being not a lot heavier and certainly lighter than a HRD, although I could be wrong! Or it may be just that they're an easier shape to lift and have a much more comfortable handle, possibly - that makes a surprising difference.

Even my Trem-o-verb at 98lb is easier to lift than a Fender Twin or an AC30 at about 80lb, just because it's nowhere near as awkward.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    ICBM said:
    JD50 said:

In my opinion, no.

But you should probably see if you can find one to try, since it's probably a personal thing.
    I actually like the Vintage Century but I don't know if my taste would be the same as yours as I don't like the V30.

I'd echo the sentiments above about a head and a separate 1 x 12.  A lot of valve combos are quite heavy - the power transformer and output transformer mean there is siginificant weight of ironwork in there.  To be honest you'd probably find your existing 2 x 12 with Vintage Centurys in would be lighter than a HRD.

The other options are modelling and/or going direct.  Something like the Blackstar ID mentioned above would be a lot lighter than a valve amp of similar output.  Or if you have a decent PA and monitors you could always go direct with modeller or a pedal with cab emulation on.  The Sansamp ones (or the Joyo/Harley Benton knockoffs) are the obvious ones but there are other pedals with cab emulation as well.
    crunchman said:
    A lot of valve combos are quite heavy - the power transformer and output transformer mean there is siginificant weight of ironwork in there.
    Actually most of the weight is in the cabinet. For example the Mesa Express chassis was almost unbelievably light when I took it out.

The only real difference between a valve amp and a solid-state amp weight-wise is the output transformer, which is only a couple of pounds for a lower-powered amp. Solid-state amps generally have to be more powerful to give the same volume so their power transformers can even be heavier, despite solid-state being more efficient.

Surprisingly, the Blackstar ID60 combo is listed as being 22Kg, which is heavier than the HRD assuming the figures are accurate.